Arrived Safely in Don's Homeland!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
September 6th 2008
Published: September 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello from Scotland! We have been in Edinburgh for the past few days and at the moment we are staying by the water in a fantastic cottage - type hostel just outside the city. Don and I are both coming down with something but hopefully we will be ready to hike full force starting on Tuesday! Tomorrow morning we head out to Glasgow for another two days of kicking back until the grueling hike begins... We hear the midges are still going strong and will unfortunately have to deet ourselves properly to prevent the nasty midge bites. Edinburgh is beautiful with tiny alleyways (closes) between the streets, bagpipers and plenty of things to do. The first day here we hiked our way to the top of Arthurs Seat which gave us a fantastic view of the city and the Firth of Forth along with it's tiny islands here and there. We managed to make a friend the second night who is from Italy, named Luca. He provided us with plenty of beach sites on the Italian coast and helped us ramp up our Italian phrases for the eventual journey there. As for food, Don has rediscovered an old passion for Scottish meat pies and sausage rolls. We are both in love with chips and curry as well. (Mostly me) Tonight we sat in a private alleyway on some stairs and were barely aware if anyone happened to pass by. This was all after visiting the National Musuem of Scotland... pictish stones and other ancient artifacts; we were both drooling. All in all we are doing well and when we think about you all back home it's usually as we are sitting down for a beer and saying to each other, "Oh, everyone back home is just setting off for work! HA!" 😊 We will update hopefully before we take off and maybe have a chance to upload some photos to instill some more jealousy in you all! Have a great night and cheers!

Susan and Don


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



6th September 2008

Setting off for work?
I am so not setting off for work! HA! :D Yesssssss, I am the first one to leave you a comment. Sounds like you are having a great time already. Chips and curry sounds so good. Can't wait to see the photos!! Sounds like
8th September 2008

lucky ducks
Don and Susan, you lucky ducks...I am almost there with you, living the adventure vicariously! Thanks for the blog and keep it up. I'll skip the midge bites, ok? Can't wait to see photos. Praying for safety as you travel and soak in the wonder of it all. Aunt Susan, Preston and Spencer
10th September 2008

awesome pictures!
Loved the slideshow of pictures! You two look so much at home there! Enjoy!
11th September 2008

Oh my..
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL place.. I guess you guys have already started to hike? I really like the 'Picture 173'.
16th September 2008

Nobody's jealous here......only a little GREEN with envy
Hey you two! I just got your blog address and it is so awesome to be able to travel along with you. Thanks for taking the time out of your great adventures to think of us little people back home. Yea, every morning when I get to work, I think.........."Too bad Susan's going to miss all the fun at work today." Yea, right! Hey did you put that traffic cone on the head, of the statue, of the man on the horse?

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb