We take on Edinburgh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
June 26th 2007
Published: June 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sir William WallaceSir William WallaceSir William Wallace

Avery, if you're reading this, here's your great (15X or something) grandfather!
Sorry, yesterday wasn't the 26th, it was the 25th. Typo!

Today we explored the Edinburgh Castle! It was awesome, and it's right beside our apartment, too. People can look through a window into me and Caroline's bedroom from it. It's kind of weird, actually. But it's not every day that you live beside a castle.
Numbers tacked to the wall led us from one exhibit to the next and we carried around audio tapes that told us about each. We went through where they kept prisoners of war and took pictures from different places. There was a dog cemetery where the pets of the soldiers were buried. Look at the pictures.
So we went to this seafood place for dinner tonight and my dad ordered this plate of assorted seafood with mussels, fish, shrimp, stuff like that. And the shrimp still had the eyes on it so my dad had this absolutely grand idea to hold in up in Caroline's face and say, "I see you!!!" My sister screamed at the top of her lungs and everyone in the restaurant looked at our table. Caroline burst into tears in embarrassment, though. At least it was funny for a few seconds.
After ice cream and a movie we decided to call it a day. Right after I do this I'm gonna go get ready for bed. Good night to all! And yes, I know in Austin it's only 5:20 in the afternoon. But here it's 11:20 and I'm ready to sleep! Hah, 'night!

PS. Morgan, I checked my email. Check yours. 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

A window with barsA window with bars
A window with bars

Look closely to the right and down, on the stone. Can you see the carving of a boat? A homesick prisoner of war, probably an American or French sailor, carved that there.
a closer viewa closer view
a closer view

isn't that COOL?!
prisoner's escape holeprisoner's escape hole
prisoner's escape hole

a dozen or so prisoners escaped bondage through this hole by tying their linens together to form a rope. only one didn't make it; he slipped and fell onto the rocks to his death.
a solitary confinement rooma solitary confinement room
a solitary confinement room

this is where they put soldiers who broke the rules and kept them locked in there for months at a time
the dog cemeterythe dog cemetery
the dog cemetery

man's best friend!
our sweet tvour sweet tv
our sweet tv

we're watching harry potter. ok you guys probably don't care, i just wanted the picture on here. :)


26th June 2007

Wonderful
We are enjoying the journal. Thanks for taking time to share the trip with us, Love Frances
27th June 2007

hello! everything is so pretty there! i love all of the pictures. emma-nice picture of your TV...hahah...that is something you would do. i love everything and the blog is so inspiring.. haha! i love you and miss you all!
27th June 2007

Harry Potter!!
Haha, yes it is sad that I know exactly what part of the movie y'all are at just from the screen shot.. hah, wow, The Edinburgh Castle looks really cool, but creepy too. I saw this travel channel show yesterday all about Edinburgh and I'm pretty sure that she went into the castle and I felt like I was there with you, it was pretty cool. There were a lot of people dressed up in kilts and playing bagpipes. Have you seen any of these people? anyways, love you all and emma I'm about to check my email so prepare for a reply :) All I can say to the seafood extravaganza, is "poor caroline" I love you!!
27th June 2007

sounds fun:)
That sounds really fun. It is kinda weird that people can see in your bedroom window, but it is still a really cool place to be :) The castels look soo cool and i absolutely love all the old-timey stuff. Em- i love the picture with you and the lion statue...it is very cool, it looks like he is protecting you or something! The engravings on the walls of the prison cells look cool! And of course, you CAN'T forget about Harry Potter!!!! It is sooo cool that you are in Scotland:) :) Aww...caroline, i'm sorry that your dad freaked you out...i would have screamed too :) Well, i love and miss you all very much! < Ange

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb