Edinburgh, Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
September 30th 2018
Published: September 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We pulled out at 8:00 as per usual on a transfer/travel day. The start of our day was with 50ish degrees temperature, cloudy and a misty rain which changed to sun about the time we crossed the Scottish border! We have been very lucky in our weather so far...perfect in fact.

We passed a much more industrial area on our drive on first part of day on our way through the Liverpool /Manchester area on M6 going north. We saw part of a 30 mile canal built from the Irish Sea from Liverpool to Manchester, England. We saw Manchester in the distance. We stopped at Grasmere in the Lake District National Park for a coffee/bathroom break. We bought some gifts at The Grasmere National Park Heritage Trust Store. The tallest mountain in England is in this area. Many poets and writers are associated with Grasmere...Wordsworth, Coleridge, and Beatrix Potter among many others.

Our drive through the Lake District on the way to Windermere was magnificent! We drove over a spot where Hadrian’s Wall once lay near Carlisle. There are still small pieces of it left, but we did not see any of them today.

Gretna Green was our
Stacked Stone houses.Stacked Stone houses.Stacked Stone houses.

This is a style different from the ones we saw earlier in this trip. This method uses no mortar!
lunch stop in Scotland, and John and I had a fantastic time there. As you may or may not know, Gretna Green is just over the Border between England and Scotland and its claim to fame was the fact that you could legally get married there at a younger age and without permission. Marriages are still performed there...several a day in fact. They perform approximately 1600 a year just at the Blacksmith shop! We were there when a young couple was getting married. Made our day!

Since John and I eloped over 54 years ago, it was sort of a kick in the pants to be there. We went into the famous Blacksmith shop where so many of those weddings took place to buy a magnet. After we had a wonderful visit with the manager there, she insisted that we take a complimentary tour of the Blacksmith Shop. How sweet was that? She said we had restored her faith in human nature. Neither of us is sure what brought her to that conclusion, but we were very honored...and gave a donation to her favorite animal rescue charity. Before we got on the bus for our final run for today to Edinburgh on the M6, we had Scottish Broth for our lunch.

Tonight our home for the next three nights is The Norton House Hotel and Spa, which is what is referred to as a Country House here. It was originally built in 1840. We are heading n a newer section. Tonight we will be treated to a Scottish banquet. I will likely post any pictures of this evening tomorrow. The good news (for us!) is that we don’t have to be on the bus for our tour of Edinburgh tomorrow until until 8:45!


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

My best shot of the day!My best shot of the day!
My best shot of the day!

Our seat was second from the front of th coach today.


30th September 2018

Great Pictures
I am home safe and sound now. I have company tomorrow Monday 10/1-10/5. Loved the bakery pictures and all the green grass. Looks like a wonderful trip. Who is the lady in pink??? Enjoy your time in Scotland looking forward to getting there one day. Hugs and safe travels.
1st October 2018

You're making the rounds!
Sure are enjoying your pictures of this beautiful part of England, and now in Scotland. We have thought before of spending a month around Edinburgh, maybe someday we will. Glad you are seeing so much, and having such a great time.
1st October 2018

Great Pictures
Glad you guys are enjoying your trip, looks like a lot of FUN! We returned home Friday, from a week’s vacation and will be leaving tomorrow for another vacation. Lozy, said hello and enjoy! Enjoy ?! Dorothy & Lozy
1st October 2018

Anniversary
Thought it was interesting you have been married 54 years! So have Bob and I. When is your date? Ours was 8/29. Your trip sounds so lovely! But to get married in a Blacksmith shop?
1st October 2018

Our anniversary...
Our 55th will be January 26. It was the law in Scotland that anyone could marry you if you stated you wanted to marry. Actually, you could even be “handfasted” by just reciting vows stating your intention. That was not the case in England. Thus the dash to the border by those who, for whatever reason such as parental disagreement, “ran for the border” to get married. The Blacksmith Shop was the first building on the border. Those to get married shared their vows from opposite sides of that anvil if the blacksmith shop was where you exchanged your vows. Another little tidbit we got was the fact that depending on where you said your vows, either outside or in a room in the house...THAT was the place you had to sign the official registry book.
1st October 2018
Our Tub at Norton House Hotel and Spa...

Fancy
Yes I could use a tv in my whirlpool tub area! :) Looks like y’all are having a great trip!

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0834s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb