Trek from London to the Westin Turnberry Resort, Scotland (near Glasgow)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow
December 16th 2004
Published: December 16th 2004
Edit Blog Post

We awake to very light rain showers and some fog. Our stay at the Park Tower is complete. We trek to the Underground tube (subway), at £2 one-way, and take the Piccadilly line to the Victoria line to Euston station.

Our BritRail (operated by Virgin rail) train departs for Glasgow. The scenery along the way is stunning. There are sheep and soccer fields everywhere. The land is wide open, still very green land, and usually bounded by stone fences. (746-750, 985-1026)

Train 1015 arrives into Glasgow station just ten minutes late. Boarding the local to Ayr heads us south towards Turnberry. Too many obstructions and fast moving trains haven’t allowed my GPS to find our position. We’re winging it now. At Ayr we board another train - a two car, old train - and continue south to Girvin. It’s raining when we offload; there are no cabs waiting. And did I mention it is now very cold and very windy. A cab arrives for two Girvin women. He promises to return and does, 10 minutes later. (A to B Taxis, Girvan: 01465 713713) Our final leg to the resort is uneventful. Cabbies here tend to be very talkative. They want to know where you are from and offer lots of advice on local flavor.

Finally, we arrive at the 800 acre Westin Turnberry. The resort sits atop a hill overlooking the water. Not much can be seen at this hour. The staff is excellent. The manager has our suite ready and personally shows us up. (967-983) “One” is the hotel’s spa - workout equipment, large pool, sauna, and Jacuzzi are on-site. Want to shoot clay pigeons, play a round of golf, go off-roading, or mountain bike? This place offers it all. Dinner is fabulous. I get a pork entrée and mom has some soup.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb