The Trip Home


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow
October 29th 2005
Published: October 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

New LanarkNew LanarkNew Lanark

The restored New Lanark cotton mill and worker settlements. A great social experiment in early workers' rights by Robert Owen.
Hi, all - it's been a while since I last did one of these as we've been fairly busy since we got back from our trip back to blighty. I'll have to keep this reasonably brief as Jo-Ann insists that I sepnd too long on the computer. In fact if she had her way, there would be no more blogs...ever. Might not be a bad thing, I'm sure some of you are thinking!

Anyway, we had a great trip home despite spending approx 48 hours on planes with only a couple of hours break each way in what felt like a prison cell in LAX. It was fantastic to spend time catching up with family and friends and it certainly brought home to us just how much we miss everyone. What we don't miss however is that wonderful autumnal weather! The first week Glasgow way was OK weather-wise but we saw the sun for approx 1.5 hours but at least it was fairly dry. However, our time in Edinburgh was pretty wet and cold and we brought the weather down to my sister's in Woking as well - very much yuk.

Some highlights of the trip include a trip
The ancestral homeThe ancestral homeThe ancestral home

Mum & Jo-Ann checking out Chatelherault, former hunting lodge of the Duke of Hamilton. My big Sis had her wedding reception there, not that I remember much about it - touch too much champers on the day.
down the Clyde valley to New Lanark with my Mum & Dad, a majestic curry night with the boys, a great wedding (see next blog which will be a wedding special) , going to see Andrew, Leyanne and Nina in Peebles, a trip to see Concorde at the the Museum of Flight at East Fortune and playing with the wee kittens in Woking!

We weren't too affected by jet lag although I naturally played the jet lag card at work for the first week back as an excuse for generally being a waste of space. I was on fire last week, though! Well and truly back in the groove now.

Last weekend was a holiday weekend (it was Labour Day on 24/10) and we headed over the Rimutaka Hill to the Wairarapa on Sunday. We stayed over in Greytown and had a picnic at the beach at Castle Point. We've been having great weather since we got back here - mostly sunny and temperature in the high teens although there's been that ever-present wind to cool things down a little. Good weather makes us focus at work to get out at 5 and home to sit on the
The People's Palace, Glasgow GreenThe People's Palace, Glasgow GreenThe People's Palace, Glasgow Green

Scene for Derek & Jane's wedding - like so many greenhouses, it leaked a bit!
balcony soaking up the rays before the sun diappears behind the hills. Nice....

However, its dull today and showers are forecast - just in time for my golf..... It was sunny yesterday and we went for our first bike ride (yes, our FIRST despite having our bikes here since May - shameful..) around the bays and to the airport. It was all flat but hard work into the wind. The legs feel OK today but we both have sore bottoms.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

I'm stuck!I'm stuck!
I'm stuck!

Jo-Ann gets some help with her jigsaw from 2 year old Nina Baillie....
Concorde G-BOAAConcorde G-BOAA
Concorde G-BOAA

This was BA's first Concorde to fly commercially
Help!Help!
Help!

That's what I'd be crying if this lot were the flight crew on my Concorde trip. From the left we have First Officer Jim Haig, Navigator Jo-Ann Galloway (God help us all!) and Pilot Joan Haig (lucky for us!)
Concorde enginesConcorde engines
Concorde engines

Just the 38,500 lbs of thrust per engine at take-off then
Chill out timeChill out time
Chill out time

Maxie and Mille having a wee break after the crazy kids had gone to bed
For all that off-road driving necessary in SurreyFor all that off-road driving necessary in Surrey
For all that off-road driving necessary in Surrey

Classic Guildford - 3 Chelsea Tractors in a row. Believe it or not, a fourth one parked in the remaining space just after I'd taken this!


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb