Glasgow


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow
October 9th 2007
Published: October 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We didn't really do too much at Glasgow. We found our hotel quite easily which was on the edge of the CBD in a grid network of streets and we even found an on-street carpark that was located not too far away from our hotel that didn't require any payment. The Scottish cities seem to be much easier to find parking in than the English ones.

On the morning of the 9th we returned our car, checked out of our hotel and boarded a train to Stranraer. This was our first train in Scotland and only our 3rd in the UK other than the Eurostar and our trip to Brighton. Luckily we got a cheap deal which combined this ticket with our ferry trip to Belfast.

One thing that was strange about boarding our train at Glasgow was that on the electronic boards which list all the upcoming train departures they don't list the platform numbers until just before the train is ready to depart. This means that everybody has to wait in the main concourse area rather than on the platforms and there was not really enough seating to accommodate everyone there.

We didn't really see much at Stranraer as the railway station was right next to the small ferry terminal and we went straight from one to the other. We had to go through security with our bags and we then got to check our large bags in before boarding the ferry.

The Stranraer to Belfast ferry was quite large with multiple options for eating onboard, although it was nothing compared to the massive ferry we took from Stockholm to Helsinki. The Belfast ferry only had one level for passengers and very limited areas to stand out in the open. Nevertheless we had an enjoyable trip across that took about 2 hours.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0803s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb