Weekend in Glasgow


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow
February 1st 2020
Published: March 2nd 2020
Edit Blog Post

I am a little behind due to some crazy traveling and lots of work. I’ll try to catch up now that I have a break!

After a week of rest at home we headed to Glasgow for a quick weekend. It's about one hour by bus so we woke up and left before it was light. By the time we got on the bus the sun was rising and we arrived bright and early at 9 AM. The first thing we had to do was visit Tim Horton's, which is a Canadian staple that serves timbits AKA donut holes. It was not amazing but it made our Canadian friends very happy.

Afterwards, we walked towards Glasgow Cathedral. It was hard to find, so we took some nerdy pictures instead.





It is also the start of something called the Necropolis, or city of the dead. It was the main cemetery in the city and over time, as they buried more and more people, the cemetery became a hill. It is the best view of the city.






We then trekked towards our hostel and saw more of the city. We picked up dinner and got dressed up for the main event of the night. A hockey game! Glasgow has a professional hockey team, known as the Glasgow Clan. It was so fun and our Canadian friends explained the rules. There were some adorable children behind us who cheered and yelled for our team. It was a great time and I am so excited to go to more.





The next day we had an amazing brunch and walked over to the botanical gardens.



They have some beautiful greenhouses with all kinds of plants. There were succulents, orchids, and banana trees. Then, we headed to the University of Glasgow. The campus is astonishingly beautiful including many classic Gothic elements.







Afterwards, we went to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. This was absolutely the highlight of our trip. We had an excellent tour guide, live organ music, and exhibits. The Christ of Saint John of the Cross by Salvador Dali was particularly impressive. We walked about 10 miles on both Saturday and Sunday, and it was exhausting. Luckily, I got to eat my favorite fish and chips on the way home and pass out.

One of my goals was to go on adventures during the week and this Wednesday I finally accomplished one of the adventures. We went to Cramond Island, an island that is only connected to the mainland at low tide. It was used by prehistoric peoples, the Romans, and WWII. They built up fortifications to prevent submarines from crossing the area between the island and mainland.





It was also absolutely beautiful and we walked back across at sunset. It was reflecting across the sand at low tide and once again, I realized how lucky I am. Scotland will surprise me with its beauty a couple more times on this trip. Staying in Edinburgh has forced me to explore nature and appreciate the beauty of our surroundings.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.04s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb