Eggs for T (in the Park) !!!!!!!!!!!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Kinross-shire » Balado
July 11th 2005
Published: March 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Little fluffy cloudsLittle fluffy cloudsLittle fluffy clouds

The sunset over the festival was really stunning.
Well, we have survived this year's T in the Park (just). Brilliant weekend, ace weather, top bands, funky vibes, ice cold cider, hell of a hangover.

There were 70,000 people at this year's event - about 10,000 more than previous, and the site was laid out completely different than before. There were a couple of teething problems on the first day, in that the site gates did not open till 12:10 (ten mins late) but that was enough to create a queue backlog of an hour and a half. The waiting crowd were fairly relaxed, but the day was so hot that it meant as soon as folk got inside the venue they headed straight for the beer token stalls / bars (more hanging around - not good). As you can imagine, the next thing was that most people were steaming drunk very early and massive toilet queues ensued. We decided to take a back seat on the booze front and went off to see our first band - 'Maximo Park' on the NME stage. Next was a trip to the X Tent to see 'Aberfeldy', who are a bit like a cross between Belle & Sebastian & Half Man
Main stage during 'Killers' set.Main stage during 'Killers' set.Main stage during 'Killers' set.

We missed most of this, but caught Mr Brightside near the end.
Half Biscuit - if you can imagine that. If not, then think ultra quirky and jolly. Best gig of the whole weekend was the 'Magic Numbers' - who were incredibly melodic, tight, and loving every minute of their performance. The audience gave them an amazing show of support, and we promptly downloaded their album next morning. Its excellent BTW, and is definately going on the travel i-pod! We decided not to hang around till the end of day one, instead we headed back to Edinburgh, and took in James Brown's set via the TV in the Queens Arms pub on Frederick street. He was pretty hot for a septogenarian! Pizza on the way home from Rapido (best chippy in Edinburgh - its half way down Broughton Street, and their 'special' fish suppers are a force to be reckoned with!)

Day two: Most enjoyable day out of the two, for us. The Sunday vibe at TITP is always much more chilled than Saturday - don't know why. Anyway, we arrived about 3pm, and had a couple of pints and relaxed outside watching Razorlight - who were very energetic and totally crowd pleasing. We sort of dipped in and out of
Silent DiscoSilent DiscoSilent Disco

This was so bizarre - a disco tent where you are handed a pair of headphones with 2 choices of DJ music, then you dance about. It was hilarious to watch folk going nuts, strutting their funky stuff with no music playing. At £20 a deposit for the headphones, we decided to spectate instead.
lots of gigs in the X, & King Tuts tents for the best part of the day which was good as we got to see lots of new-ish bands that we were less famailiar with. Any Bunnymen fans will be jealous to know that Ian MacCullough is still the coolest man from the 80's - and looks / sounds exactly the same as he did 20 years ago. I loved their set, and had a major jump around session down the front with a bunch of moshers I've never met before. Alan hung back and got some super snaps. We decided to see the Prodigy for the last set - they were quite funkified and we made lots of new 5 minute pals as we bopped around the field!

Wasn't too clever today however - took 'till 8pm before I could hold any food down (chips & curry sauce and 5 pints of cider seemed like a good idea yesterday). Very rock n' roll.

Hope you like the photos - we took quite a lot.






Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Inside SLAM dance tentInside SLAM dance tent
Inside SLAM dance tent

Lots of mashed people, lots of strobes, lots of big bass noise. Booka Shade was on when we took this photo. never heard of them / him (whatever?), but the tunes were spanking.
A...A..A...A...Aberfeldy.!A...A..A...A...Aberfeldy.!
A...A..A...A...Aberfeldy.!

We loved them - very uplifting fabby tunes. There was a guy at the back with a massive placard saying 'Look Maw, I'm on TV'
MMMMMmmmmmmmm.... Zoider!!!MMMMMmmmmmmmm.... Zoider!!!
MMMMMmmmmmmmm.... Zoider!!!

This was inside the X tent - we were waiting to see 'Josh Rouse' who turned out to be rubbish. A bit like a poor man's Lloyd Cole. We were dissapointed as we were right at the front for once.
Razorlight on Main stageRazorlight on Main stage
Razorlight on Main stage

It was SO hot on Sunday. We had factor 50 sun cream on, but there were a lot of red people who looked like they were going to be in pain today. Ouch.
Alan and his pint.Alan and his pint.
Alan and his pint.

The first of many. I obviously carried the hangover for both of us though, as he was fine today.
Watch my pints!Watch my pints!
Watch my pints!

I love Alan's face in this picture.
Weegie Witch DoctorWeegie Witch Doctor
Weegie Witch Doctor

Alan made this guy's day by asking him if he could take his photo for our 'Web Page'. We think he thought he was going to become famous, as he was so chuffed. These goth staff things were on sale at the event priced £14.99 - wish we'd bought one now (not).
Spare us the Cutter...nnnnneeeaow...Spare us the Cutter...nnnnneeeaow...
Spare us the Cutter...nnnnneeeaow...

Ian MacCullough. The orginal swagger merchant of UK indie pop.
Echo & the BunnymenEcho & the Bunnymen
Echo & the Bunnymen

The light show for the Bunnymen set was really good.
Scrambled EggsScrambled Eggs
Scrambled Eggs

King Tuts Wah Wah tent was like a sauna. We were talking to a guy in a Ramones T shirt and said we'd give him a mention on our blog if he took our photo. Cheers mate (can't remember your name, sorry!). This was during Interpol.
Lady Boy of BaladoLady Boy of Balado
Lady Boy of Balado

We think the Bankok entertainers have job security.
Aussie palsAussie pals
Aussie pals

Unfortunately I hacked these guys off by asking what part of New Zealand they were from. Think I better get my 'accent recognition' button activated before we embark on our big trip. These guys are basically working their way round Europe going to every music festival going.
Monkey cloudMonkey cloud
Monkey cloud

Fo anyone who remembers the TV show 'Monkey'- I believe this is his pink transportation cloud which he'd conjure up by blowing on his fingers.
Sunset over the WheelSunset over the Wheel
Sunset over the Wheel

Taken at the end of the day as we were leaving the fields. If you look carefully you can see the litter strewn over the grass.
Fireworks Fireworks
Fireworks

We were sad when the day drew to an end.


12th July 2005

Faaaaaaaaantastic Fotos!!!
Fotos are fab, keep them coming!
26th July 2005

You're mad...
can't wait until travel updates/pics
9th September 2005

A Bunnymen Fan...
Thanks you for the photos and great to hear that they are still in good shape.... have to say that The Cure still get my vote for 80's coolest though !!!
26th January 2006

Big Day Out
If you want to see the Autralian version of T in The Park 'Big Day Out' which we went to in Jan 06, then go to our 'Eggs have a Big Day Out' blog, under Sydney. It's about blog number 43.
6th March 2006

how i got here
hey i managed to get onto this site cause i was trying to find out about travel arrangements for t in the park 06 (its gonna be great :D \o/) typed into google "travel balado" and low n behold this site popped up hope that clears things up for you!
8th March 2006

Cheers for that mr or ms notimportant. HOpe you enjoy it this year - the line up looks brilliant. Gutted we wont see Primal Scream as we wont be home in time.

Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 28; qc: 115; dbt: 0.1251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb