Isle of Skye


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We took the train to Mallaig, ferry to Armadale and then the bus to Kyleakin. Frankly it was as easy as that. The Scottish Freedom Pass we have just lets you use pretty much any public transport that you want, no questions asked. Well, just one "and where are you headed?". Either it's part of their rebate or they just want to make sure that you've got on to the right train, ferry or bus.
The only thorn in our side today was having to listen to an old American granny talk the leg off one of locals here. Yap, yap, flaming yap. I've heard the phrase "couldn't get a word in edge-wise" and honestly, it applied to this woman. I don't recall if she ever paused for breath. Each inane, stupid, pointless story, lead to the next bought of verbal diorrhea. Cheri and I kept well away from her.
In a visitor centre in Kyleakin today we finally got our first view of a midge. They were selling some pieces of amber with midges in them. They are tiny. About the size of a little pinprick. Ie take a pin, poke the pointy bit in to a piece of paper and only just make a hole. If you've made a hole big enough that you could can push the rest of the pin through up to the head - it's too large. You can barely see these things with the naked eye.
Well, now that we're on Skye we have a terrible choice. We have three different things we want to do tomorrow and only enough time to do one of them. The choices are: Dunvegan Castle - the home of the MacLeods for the past 700 years, Armadale Castle and grounds - ranked as one of the best in Scotland and the Scottish tourism board give them four stars or... or.... The Talisker Distillery tour.
On a side note the weather today was pretty overcast, shrouding Ben Nevis in cloud. I'm pretty sure that the charity walk up Ben Nevis wouldn't be goin ahead today. Which brings me to Scottish weather. It is said that Scotland only has three types of weather. Beautiful and sunny, Atmospheric (overcast) or Dramatic (stormy). Today it was Atmospheric

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb