Day 2: Dalchalm to Inverness


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Inverness
September 2nd 2017
Published: September 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Woke relatively early, packed up the tent, and headed off to find breakfast, ...or a convienience store (proved to be a challenge on a prior trip, in some towns/villages). I tried the hotel I had eaten at yesterday, and while they served anyone supper, they only provide breakfast for guests (??). I was directed down the street and had a quick bite at a cafe that had just opened. Next, ...visit the Co-op for on route supplies, as the opportunities on route may prove limited.
All in all, a good day of cycling along the coast and then inland for a while before popping back to the inlet at Inverness. I followed the A9 for about half the route (quite busy, and somewhat worrisome where the highway splits at Tain). After which, it was (thankfully) local and B roads.
I had intended to stop at a campground before Inverness, and the following day cycle over the hills to Loch Ness for a loch look-see and a visit to Urquhart Castle. The return route would put me at a campground on the other side of Inverness. Sensibilities told me to divert to a campground in Inverness instead, and to link up with a tour to the loch. I would have plenty of other cycling challenges over the coming weeks,
Made Inverness by 4pm, booked a Loch tour at the visitors centre, a quick tour of town, and then off to sign in at the campground. After which, a five minute ride into town and a hearty meal and ale at a cookie cutter tourist pub.
Nightlife in Inverness appears to be very active on a Saturday night. I passed many open pub doors with music and patrons spilling into the street.
Note: Coffee at McD's is as good as anywhere else, but 1/2 to 1/3 the price.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb