Day two in Scotland begins


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Inverness
October 5th 2006
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Battlefield at CullodenBattlefield at CullodenBattlefield at Culloden

The site of the Jacobite (Highlander) line at the actual battle site of the Battle of Culloden
Geo: 57.4594, -4.02469

From the small town of Pitlochry, we headed up towards Inverness. On the way, we stopped at Blair castle, which was a fairly impressive, manor-type, castle. Being so early, we managed to avoid paying a cent to wander the grounds. Our luck continued at the nearby Scottish Whiskey Distillery, where we managed to get in early, have a quick look around and get free samples.
Eventually we drove through the town of Inverness, and arrived at the battle site of Colloden. This was the site of one of the most famous, and significant battles in Brittish history, and in fact the last major battle fought on Brittish soil, back in 17th of April, 1746. The battle was fought between the Scottish Highlanders, under Bonny Prince Charlie, and the English Government led by the Duke of Cumberland. It was the last attempt for the Jacobites (Scots) to try and see the rightful decendant, and aire to the throne, Prince Charlie, overthrow the current Monarch.
The weary, disorganised highlanders however, were summarily slaughtered in a brutal battle. The Culloden site however was a fantastic historical treat, stacks better than i expected.
From here, we headed along Loch ness, down to Point Augustus, and
Battlefield Site of CullodenBattlefield Site of CullodenBattlefield Site of Culloden

The battlegrounds of Culloden. Here Bonnie Charlies exhausted and disorganised Highlander army of 5000 was summarily slaughtered by the English army of 9000, led by the duke of cumberland. The losses were estimated at almost 4000 total scots, and 400 english.
Fort William which il include photos for and talk about in the next entry.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Blair CastleBlair Castle
Blair Castle

A shot from the grounds of Blair Castle. Seems like more of a manor house than a castle, but impressive all the same.
Blair Castle ResidentBlair Castle Resident
Blair Castle Resident

one of the local residents of Blair Castle.
Culloden CottageCulloden Cottage
Culloden Cottage

Cottage at the Culloden battlefield which still remains today! Would likely have been a farm house, and then a treatment/hospital room for wounded soldiers.
Doorway KrisDoorway Kris
Doorway Kris

Thats me there, standing in the doorway of Blair Castle
Highland CattleHighland Cattle
Highland Cattle

The infamous Highland cattle found around Scotland. All shaggy like to brave the cold conditions.
Memorial at CullodenMemorial at Culloden
Memorial at Culloden

Me reading the memorial at the Culloden battlefield in Scotland, near Inverness.
Memorial to the fallenMemorial to the fallen
Memorial to the fallen

Me in front of a memorial at the battle site.
Scottish BeronialScottish Beronial
Scottish Beronial

Just a shot of the nice architecture of the building of Blair Castle
Scottish LowlandsScottish Lowlands
Scottish Lowlands

A typical shot of how the Scottish lowlands appear.
Tofor and a SoldierTofor and a Soldier
Tofor and a Soldier

This is me at the Culloden battlefield. This guy is posing as a French mercenary, fighting for the Scottish highlanders who were smacked in this battle. He gave an informative demo about the weapons used.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb