We are in Inverness, finally (corrected)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Inverness
October 18th 2009
Published: October 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After 24 hours of traveling, including 3 planes and airport wait times, we finally made it Inverness around noon local time. It was overcast and drizzling when we landed but it cleared soon after we got to the hotel and stayed clear all day. And COOL! Blessedly cool for me, not cold, but after Houstons summer, I was feeling much better.

Our hotel overlooks the River Ness and across the river is Inverness Castle so great view from the room. Ernest took a picture. Inverness, although called the capital of the Highlands, is not large by our standards and can be fairly easily walked from one side to the other. And Ernest and I did that this afternoon in search of lunch and getting the feel of things. We found the Tourist Office so we were able to sign up for the Ghost Walk tour for tomorrow night. I love those things!

The highlight of the day was coming across a pub with a local band playing traditional Scottish music. I bought a CD. They were pretty good and very popular. We shared a High Tea Dinner, which was basically the standard pub fare of haddock fish and chips and peas, with a pot of tea, scones and cake added. It was a lot of fun and a good way to end the first night here.

Tomorrow we go tour Loch Ness and see our wedding location, Urquhart Castle, but now I really have to get some sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

view from roomview from room
view from room

we look out over the river to Inverness Castle
Palace HotelPalace Hotel
Palace Hotel

The hotel was built in 1890's on the site of a Ness House, a traditional Highland mansion. It has been a well known Highland hotel for over 100 years, but has had renovations!
I talk to anythingI talk to anything
I talk to anything

Too tired to be sure if it talked back
Ernest's bus fixationErnest's bus fixation
Ernest's bus fixation

maybe the guys at Metro understand
Band's carBand's car
Band's car

no, I'm not a groupie, yet


18th October 2009

I am glad you are finally there.
18th October 2009

Were we just a wee bit tired? Its not easy to look at a view upside down! Looks lovely though! Glad to hear you made it!
19th October 2009

Ullapool
Well, you really haven't lived until you've 'done Ullapool'.
19th October 2009

Wow! So nice!
You look great Melinda! Where is Ernest? Did you leave him in London? :) Yes, I know, he hates taking pictures! Can't wait until the next blog entry!
19th October 2009

Hurray!
I especially like the pic of the hotel (looks like somewhere I'd love to stay ... I love old, quirky hotels), and the description of the food (which, after having a NutriGrain bar for breakfast made me very hungry). :-) Good luck Aunt Melly!

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb