Exploring the highlands some more! Hamish Macbeth country!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Inverness
September 16th 2018
Published: September 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

After yesterday’s lunch we were not about to chance breakfast with the hotel cooks, so Tom went out hunting and gathering. He did awesomely well because he brought back an orange juice, some berry flavoured porridge, a cheesy bacon flatbread and a latte! Thank you McDonalds!

After brekky we went next door to board our train to the Kyle of Lochalsh. That’s where the train was going and where we had seats booked and selected for but we were getting off at Plockton. So after two and a half hours of travelling through little Scottish villages, request stations (where you have to ask the conductor to stop the train), heather covered hills, wide open moors and alongside lochs, we alighted at Plockton station and enjoyed a leisurely 1 km stroll into the village, giving us a lovely appetite for lunch.

The Plockton Inn looked inviting. Tom selected soup of the day with cheesy chips, and I had the seafood platter (entree for one size). It was covered in fresh oysters, langoustines(big prawns with BIG nippers) and smoked trout, salmon, mussels and clams, all smoked in their own smokery out the back of the inn. This was followed by Crannachan Ice Cream! Crannachan is a Scottish dessert of raspberries, honey whisky, drambuie, shortbread and raspberry coulis, and it was soooo much better than mine.

Over lunch we chatted to an Aussie couple from Barwon Heads! The man actually designed Laura’s Cottage - the accommodation we stay at when we visit Barwon Heads and the cottage featured in Sea Change! What a coincidence! As we were paying, another Aussie couple appeared, from NSW and South Australia!

After lunch we had time for a wander through the village before returning to the station for our return journey. It was just as well we’d booked our seats, because the train was almost full and some people were sitting in our reserved seats and we had to ask them to move.

Then it was just a matter watching the spectacular Scottish Highlands pass by on our return trip! We skipped dinner - still full from lunch!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0877s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb