Glenfinnan and Glencoe


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

As we are moving again today, we packed up after breakfast and said goodbye to Uig, leaving with the sun shinning on the bay. Just down the road I stopped and took photos of long haired Scottish cattle that we have passed several times, but never yet stopped for. When he combs his hair across, Benjamin looks just like one of them !

We stopped in the small town not far along the road to do some souvenir shopping, as we still have some family to buy things for. Shortly after this, our gps tried to point us up a smaller road and we quickly realized it was trying to take us to a ferry. Though this would be a quicker route to the town of Glenfinnan where we are heading, we decided we would take the bridge route instead.

Across the bridge and back on the mainland, we stopped for lunch at the same place where we had while heading to Skye. The rest of the route to Glenfinnan was quite scenic, following the side of Lochs and taking us past the place where we had stopped for lunch several days ago on our way to Lock Ness.

We seemed to get caught behind some slow holiday trafic, and it took quite some time to reach our destination. In Glenfinnan, we wanted to see the Glenfinnan viaduct, a huge bridge which is feature in the Harry Potter movies. We headed to the train station, where the lady in the gift shop gave us a map and direction on how to find the viaduct.

After a short walk in from the road, we reached the viaduct and got some good shots from high up on the side of the valley. Down underneath it, Joshua discovered it had a great echo effect and he and Benjamin spend a few minutes investigating this.

Back at the car, we pointed our gps to our hostel in the town of Crainlarich. The drive was spectacular, taking us through Glencoe where the wide valley and rounded hills seem impossibly green. We spotted and added some more photos to the over 10 000 ones that we have already taken on this trip.

Our hostel at Crainlarich was ok, but neither as scenically set nor as well kept up as the one in Uig. It was functional though, and the staff were helpful. After dinner, Benjamin, Joshua and I went for a walk along the trails which lead up from the hostel. Along the side of the path, there were tens of giant black slugs, each about 3 inches long and quite fat. It was a strange site to see and the boys counted about 60 of them on our short walk.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0841s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb