We were the Royalty at Kingsbarns


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Fife » Crail
August 13th 2017
Published: August 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Take that Pebble Beach, take that other links by the sea courses, Kingbarns may other less opportinies to use a running shot, but it really offers an array of great golf shots on land that seems to be reserved for exceptional golf - terrain, views, shotmaking and rewards for grinding it out.

Kinsbarns was a competely different journeyon links land spread out through the hills to the edge of the sea. Three par 5's, the 3rd, the 12th and the 16th were my most memorable holes, though there were too many great holes to count. Justin accompanied us for another 18 and he came with more assistance and stories form the young course short past. The greens wer very similar in feel and speed as ours at SFL, as true and demanding, as well.

The cameras were out all day as we mixed golf with a visual memory book.

After a quick review over a desereved cold one, we headed back to St Andrews to pick up our gift for Justin that wasnbeing framed while we played. He organized a little special shopping opportunity at the special R&A Pro Shop where we had a couple of items to choose from (the rest were for members only). Let the "cashectomy" continue. (Don't worry Hein, got a special one for you).

We couldn't end the St Andrews experience there. Another "club" G&T (slightly more generous) was required and a little explanation of the main trophies and medals on display. At the left end of the trophy case was the most amazing trophy, awarded to the matchplay champion golfer; enscribed was the name Keith Simpson. I sneaked a pic to show you.

We presented our gift outside the R&A and proceeded to the balcony of the Old Course Hotel to watch the sunset.

After these 3 days, it was agreed we could fly home totally filled with great memories. But, that's only three games down. I pushed ahead with a 2&1 victory and 30pts vs 29pts. Off to Gullane where we return to a more tradional walk with the running shot needed.

????️


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Shhhhh. Shhhhh.
Shhhhh.

Keith Simpson captured the Matchplay
Dr George CunninghamDr George Cunningham
Dr George Cunningham

On the way out we stopped to see George. He is 92 and full of vinegar. I first arranged a tour of SA for him and his wife in about 2000. Having never met a Member of the R&A before, I really put it on him with arranged golf from CT to Knysna, comped all the way. Little did I know I would do it 8 more times!


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb