A Rest Day on Gullane 2


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » East Lothian » North Berwick
August 13th 2017
Published: August 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

After three pretty strong days on and off the course taking it ALL in from the coastal drive into St Andrews to the closing fish and chips at the famous Dunvegen Hotel, the St Andrews leg was unreal!

After an easy drive to North Berwick and to our home for 5 nights, the Golf Lodge, we were off to play Gullane 2 as Gullan 1 was hosting a match (having said that, the locals said we made the right call). Before heading to the course, Emma and John Hill welcomed us to their beeeeeeautiful home and showed us to our rooms - walking distance to the course and village. The Edinburgh Festival is on and North Berwick is part of the "fringe festival" with events day and night - jackpot!

Gullune is old school. The courses work their way up and aound a BIG hill and over the Firth of Forth below. It took me 4 stops before summiting the 3rd hole - maybe that's why I chipped well past and dropped a shot.

The course was fair to the point of being spacious as it was a one-ball day for me. We were a two-ball and held back as not to crowd the briskly-moving fourball in front. Noone pressed us from behind and it was a jacket on, jacket off day with only a "light puff" of wind affecting our club selection. It was a perfect "Mike course" - favourable in length with his stroke holes being reachable. Our friendly matchplay and Stableford tournament has been tight, competitive, yet friendly and supportive (well, it is early days)!

After going down 4 after 8, the spirits lifted and we were all sqaure with two to play - both playing well. I goofed the 15th and he parred the 16th and it was game over. We ended with birdies on the 18th, both made 37 points and the series was all square at 2 each.

Tom greeted me with a South African Rose and told me about his life in SA in the early 80's, opening the Sandton Sun for Sol Kerzner. we dined up the road on mussels, salad and the finals of the track and field.

A rest day on a great links (by definition) and an easy night - needed that.

As I post this, its Sunday morning in North Berwick - perfect, sun-filled day with golf waiting and a night in the Village.

What a treat...????️


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The 18th The 18th
The 18th

Two great birdies to close off the day


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb