The Wee One - Kilspindie just makes you feel good!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » East Lothian » Aberlady
August 15th 2017
Published: August 15th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Ok, you can go for the big course and the big challenge with big rewards and big penalties OR you can play your first game with great hosts, John Young and his golfing-daughter, Kate, on a course that balances the perfect linksland walk with shot-making on a short course.

Kilspindie was put on the golfing map when former PGA Champion, Rich Beem, commentating for SKY Sports, couldn't stop talking about it while on air for the Muifield Open Championship. He had gotten up early and played before going into the booth; he loved it and we did, too!

Net 64, 67, 67 and 68 led to a 1-up victory for John and me, and 2&1 over. Mike's 78 and 37 pointer would have won any other day but my driver and putter came together at the same time for 71 and 41points. I'm now retiring from the game and coming home - satisfied and happy.

Courses like Kilpindie are good for the soul - generous landing areas with a good variety of shots required for scoring and safety. I took on the drivable 11th and ended up pitching out sideways From, yet another, deep-faced hazard. Mike had the
Joined by our hosts, John and KateJoined by our hosts, John and KateJoined by our hosts, John and Kate

She can play! Mike is becoming a selfie king ?
"shot of the tour" landing an 8-iron 15 feet from the pin on 17 after pushing his drive into a small hidden bunker facing the 16th. Playing out backwards, effectively, he picked it perfectly to keep our match alive. For the third time in 6 games, the 18th was drivable in the 2-club, downwind conditions. My 3-wood found the surface, with the unseen out-of-bounds stone wall about 20 yards to the right. 2-putts and Yeeeeehah!

Of the six courses, we have been honoured to play, the pure links, with greens that simply continue at the level of the closely mown, are my favourites - with chip and run the shot of choice! Proper golf where "your eyes" dictate the shot and club required. See the landing point and feel the run out. These are NOT sandwedge, lob and spin, courses. Gotta love it!

Hooking up with John and Katie, in some ways, marked the start of the rest of our tour. John was instumental in laying out our tour and has shared our "Golfing Mission" with dismayed friends. He assisted with bookings and rates at many destinations and will be introducing us to some of Scotland's best-known and little-known destinations. Yesterday, after the game, he threw more twists to the tale, adding Trump Turnberry and a special whisky stop to the mix. Did we need more!

Last night we dined with our hosts in North Berwick where Mike and John started with a Scottish traditional bisgue, Cullen Skink, made with smoked Haddock, ooooh, baby, ooooh! I stuck into mussels in cream broth for the second time and the 5:2 diet has come 2nd again, Danie!

Next up is Dunbar with John and Alex Ritchie, a member there. The sun is shining (again) and we are stoked for more golf.

Our point averages have improved to 32,8 and 32,5 respectively. I'm now off 5 and Mike has come down to 10...all good!

???⛳️??s

Scroll down for today's pics


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Wow, what a par-3Wow, what a par-3
Wow, what a par-3

Mike caught the wall and then asked permission to play from the beach below. Fore, then, four.
The stone wall flanks the left side of 18The stone wall flanks the left side of 18
The stone wall flanks the left side of 18

And then, flanks the green on the right.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb