Dunbar- fit for The Open Qualifying


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » East Lothian » Dunbar
August 15th 2017
Published: August 15th 2017
Edit Blog Post

After coming off a golfing high at Kilspindie, the challenge of Dunbar would require a refocus. The Open Qualifying venue starts with back to bak Par-5's and a downhill Par-3 near the Clubhouse. After that, you move to the ocean side of the wall (another wall) and fire into a great Par-4...and on it goes with strong 3's, 4's and a lone 5 coming home. Out the par is 37 with 3, 5's and two, 3's. In, the par is 34 with no 5's, just strong 4's. Our host, Alec Ritchie, playing off 7, put on a show, out in 39 and back in 37. He realed John and I in on the last four holes where we went from 2 up to 1 down and it held.

Mike and I both slipped back after our ego-trip at Kilspindie, with 31 and 26 points, respectively. I doubled the last for my first in two days and sneaked a 3&1 win In the matchplay. Alec stuffed us all with his play and we paid the bet with a beer.

Dunbar was a mix of Gullane and North Berwick with greens that could not compare to Kilspindie's. The shotmaking required was exceptional and the ground route was my choice for the day.

We found our way home (eventually) as a missed turn or three created some amazing sight-seeing.

Lobster and seafood bisgue at Rocketeers got us to the end of the day, only to be greeted by a braai as we returned to the Golf Lodge where we are staying. John and Emma have been amazing and their lodge is first class. I will need salmon detox when we leave after 5 mornings of breakfast bliss. Emma even appiled plasters to my blistered toes (Something she doesn't do for Tom). What a great spot and couple!

Tomorrow is Muirfield day and cant sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb