Day 2 - Edinburgh to Boddam (north of Aberdeen)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Aberdeenshire » Peterhead
October 18th 2014
Published: October 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 2 - Edinburgh to Boddam

Stops at Broughty Castle, Arbroath Abbey & Dunnotar Castle

Today we left Edinburgh in the dark. Sunrise at roughly 7:45. drove through the winding streets looking for the large bridge over the Firth of Forth (just love saying that).

(don't forget to scroll down for more pictures)

We will hug the coast thru the Kingdom of Fife and avoided the larger highways.

Our first stop was for coffee in Anstruther where we snapped a few pic's of the harbour.

Back on the road to Arbroath for lunch at the Bell Rock restaurant for a buffet which had a lot of the favourites that are needed when in Scotland. Battered & fried, blood pudding, mealy pudding, sausages, fish (regular & spicy), mushrooms, boneless rib and sticky toffee pudding. OK just kidding about the pudding.

Around the corner was the Arbroath Abbey. This was a religious site from the date of 1145 and is famous for the writing of the Declaration of Arbroath. This was a letter written to the Pope by Robert the Bruce, notarized by the Lords of Scotland stating that Scotland was not going to succumb to the lies of the English.

Side note: One of the Lords was Donald Campbell.

Leavng Arbroath going along the coast stopping at Dunnotar Castle near Stonehaven. I am glad that we visited this ruin because we won't go back.

Spectacular views. Truly breathtaking. BUT. The steps thru the valley to the castle were exhausting. (over 200 one way)

Leaving Dunnotar we headed for the hotel in Peterhead for a beautiful dinner of scallops, salmon, rack of lamb and rib eye steak. Exceptional.



Tomorrow off to Dornoch, northwest of Inverness, more castles but no distilleries (Sunday).





Oh by the way, sunny all day, 17 to 19 degrees....

What's the weather like where you are?


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Steep stepsSteep steps
Steep steps

Broughty Castle
JohnshavenJohnshaven
Johnshaven

Fishing village on the North Sea near Dunnotar


19th October 2014

Pictures
We can't find any pictures. They're apparently not showing up. Are you sure the Firth of Forth wasn't slow, came fifth and won a balloon? Oh by the way A KILT?????????
20th October 2014

Pictures
Try scrolling down a little. Yep I have ordered a Kilt. Now I just have to get the rest of the uniform and find a place dressy enough to wear it....

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0929s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb