Enjoyed Time in Aberdeen, Scotland July 22 - July 29, 2022


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Aberdeenshire » Aberdeen
August 25th 2022
Published: August 26th 2022
Edit Blog Post

The Train Trip from Newcastle to AberdeenThe Train Trip from Newcastle to AberdeenThe Train Trip from Newcastle to Aberdeen

was one of the most scenic so far
One of the positives of coming to the UK during the summer months was to be the fact that we would be escaping the heat in Turkey. Well, there was quite a heat wave happening in the southern part of the UK so luckily our next commitment for cat sitting was farther north in Aberdeen, Scotland. We had heard that some of the trains weren’t running due to the heat of the tracks, but again, our luck was holding out and nothing interrupted our travels north. There also have been railway strikes, but fortunately none of the strike days have been on days we needed to travel, at least yet. We are keeping our fingers crossed that will continue.

We had heard that the train ride from Newcastle along the coast was a beautiful one and fortunately this is the route our train was scheduled to go. They didn’t lie as this was one of the most scenic rides we’ve been on as it included miles and miles of the coast and around the Bay in Edinburgh as well as through some beautiful agricultural areas. I am surprised when riding the trains that I seem to be the only one
Enjoying the Views from the Train on Our WayEnjoying the Views from the Train on Our WayEnjoying the Views from the Train on Our Way

between Newcastle and Aberdeen
with my camera ready and looking out the window constantly. I always feel that there may just be something around the corner or through the fields that I might miss if I don’t always look. I do always bring a book to read, but have found recently that it isn’t even worth getting it out of my backpack as I never want to take the time away from enjoying the scenery we pass. Bob did check at one time with his navigational software on his iPad to check our location and to see the speed we were traveling. It registered at 103.5 knots which when converted is 123.5 miles per hour. I’m just glad that I have been able to get the photos that I do with that speed!

We were sorry that we were not going to meet Claire or Anna in Aberdeen as we talked to them on a video call before finalizing our commitment and they seem very lovely and enjoy traveling as well, but it didn’t work out to do so. They were very flexible with our arrival and departure time, but it meant not meeting up, but it still worked out well as they
Crops Being Watered and Energy ProducedCrops Being Watered and Energy ProducedCrops Being Watered and Energy Produced

with the wind turbines in the background
were very informative with all the information, we would need to take care of Leyla and Gerry and even gave a few suggestions of things to see while in the area.

When we got off the train and walked the streets, we were almost overwhelmed with the amount of grey granite! There didn’t seem to be any color at all. We did hear later that Aberdeen many times has been referred to as the granite city and we understand why. It almost seemed dreary when we first arrived, but as the days went by it wasn’t as overwhelming (but as Bob kept saying, it is still really grey!). Fortunately, the place we were staying was on a bus route so we learned our way around quite quickly.

One of the days we decided to take in the Maritime Museum as it was rainy, windy and cold. Actually, it was cold enough that I put on my jeans and fleece again after being in shorts and t-shirts all the time we have been here. As Bob said, we have been wanting it colder so we are getting it! We have been to many maritime museums in other locations, but
107.3 knots = 123.5 miles/hr - the train speed107.3 knots = 123.5 miles/hr - the train speed107.3 knots = 123.5 miles/hr - the train speed

as shown on our navigational software
this one was different in many ways. The major industries over the years here have been fishing as well as oil production from the numerous oil platforms located in the North Sea. They did an excellent job of providing information on what it is like for the people that live on the rigs a few weeks at a time. Information was also provided on the safety equipment and designs that were added after a major fire occurred killing many. We were able to see a video of the decommissioning of a platform and how such a large structure is removed. Other parts of the museum covered the fishing industry – the industry itself and the fishermen and their families that have struggled over the years to make a living from it.

Bob’s neck and shoulder were still bothering him so knowing that we were going to be in Aberdeen for a week I had done research from Newcastle and made 2 appointments for him with a physical therapist. The first appointment with the therapist was very helpful and his pain was definitely reducing. The second appointment near the end of the week Bob wasn’t as happy with, but overall, things are getting better. The therapist suggested that we take a wander over to Old Aberdeen and to Seaton Park which we did. The park straddles the river Don and is one of the largest parks in the city. The land was purchased in 1947 by the city to create a park for all to enjoy. It has many wonderful pathways, formal gardens and even a “secret garden”.

A woman we spoke to had mentioned that there is a lovely winter garden at the Duthie Park so wanted to check it out as well. This park opened in 1883 after it was gifted to the city by Elizabeth Duthie in 1880 as she wanted it to be used for the recreation of the inhabitants of Aberdeen. The winter garden was added in the 1900’s, but that building was damaged by a severe storm in 1969, therefore it had to be rebuilt. This indoor garden is extensive and contains plants from all over the world. What a wonderful way to spend some time here.

We knew that Aberdeen was also known for its granite which was quarried locally and used to build most of the buildings in the city as well as exported around the world. By the 19th century granite was big business here as it employed thousands of people to cut, polish and sculpt the stone to be exported. There are numerous types of granite and there was a sample of each of them in the garden to see.

At this time and prior, Aberdeen was known for its ship building, fishing and textiles, but when oil was discovered in the North Sea, first in 1970, this area became known for its oil production. Aberdeen was the closest port with extensive dock system so it became the natural base for the oil industry to develop. As a result of the oil industry, it has been said that over a half million jobs have been created here.

Claire and Anna suggested we head out to the coast to visit Dunnottar Castle and the village of Stonehaven. Fortunately, we found that we could catch a bus out to the coast so decided to take a day outing. We are so glad we took their advice as it is a magnificent area. Not only were the castle remains quite extensive and well labelled to get a feel for what it would have been like, but the scenery was spectacular! When you are dropped off by bus, you have to walk in on the road about 6-7 minutes and you are then amazed to see where the castle is actually located! It almost appears to be on an island as it is located on a pillar of rock 160 feet high and surrounded on 3 sides by the North Sea. You must climb down and up quite a ways to get to the castle itself, but, fortunately, the climb looked much worse than it really was. We did have to laugh however, as soon after we started, we met a gentleman that was getting close to the end of his hike back from the castle. I asked him, “was the walk to it worth it?” The answer I got was “well, you can go and get photos to show you were there and you might as well go as I don’t want to be the only one to suffer”. Not a really good recommendation, but fortunately we didn’t listen to him!

The Castle has quite a history as it has been host to Mary Queen of Scots and
We Were On the Correct Side of the TrainWe Were On the Correct Side of the TrainWe Were On the Correct Side of the Train

to see the views of the water as well
had played a role in saving the Scottish Crown Jewels from Oliver Cromwell’s army in the 1650’s. In 1685 the Castle cellar became a prison for those that refused to acknowledge religious reforms imposed by King Charles II. The 10th Earl Marischal, George Keith, worked with the Jacobites to try to overthrow King George I in 1715-16. As a result of his role in this, he had to forfeit his title and his estates which included the Dunnottar Castle. A year later in 1717, the Castle was sold by the Government to the York Mining Company. They removed everything of value which included the furnishings, floors and ceilings. Fortunately, in 1919, Lord and Lady Cowdray purchased the Castle and started extensive conservation and restoration work. It was then opened to the public and it still remains the property of this same family. Thankfully this family had the foresight to preserve this historic site for all to enjoy and learn from.

We knew we could catch a bus down to the village of Stonehaven, but there is a coastal walk between the Castle and Stonehaven so decided to do this instead. The views are spectacular and well worth the hike. The village of Stonehaven has a very sheltered working harbor and was a great place to wander and find a place for a late lunch. Later that day we were able to catch a bus back to Aberdeen – another wonderful day of exploring.

The week in Aberdeen went quickly, but worked out as a wonderful stop during our time away from Tsamaya in Turkey. We got to stay in a nice place with two lovely cats and have time to explore some of the area. Only one regret was not having a chance to meet Claire and Anna in person! After we had booked our travel at the end of our time we were to stay with the cats, their travel plans changed and they were going to be returning a day early. They were exceptionally generous in paying for a room in a hotel right next to the train station for that night. We really have been so fortunate to have connected with them through Trusted Housesitters. It definitely has been a wonderful program to be a part of.

We are also now positioned well for our next stop which will be in Forres to
Aberdeen - the Granite CityAberdeen - the Granite CityAberdeen - the Granite City

with plenty of grey, granite buildings
visit our friends, Heather and George who we have known since our time in Botswana just a “few” years ago. We are looking forward to reconnecting with them again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

Here Is the Home We Stayed In AberdeenHere Is the Home We Stayed In Aberdeen
Here Is the Home We Stayed In Aberdeen

with their lovely garden out back
Enjoyed the Aberdeen Marine MuseumEnjoyed the Aberdeen Marine Museum
Enjoyed the Aberdeen Marine Museum

with history of fishing and oil production in the area


27th August 2022

Dunottar
I was there today!
28th August 2022

Oh my-so close!
It would have been wonderful to meet in person! Hope you enjoyed it!

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb