Walking Derry


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Northern Ireland
July 7th 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 54.9976, -7.32062

I planned a long walking tour for us today, and we got to about half of it. We wanted to spend time at the city library, too, to see if they had any new information for Philip's research. Two of the librarians were quite helpful bringing out books and maps that might have information for us. They also gave Philip a lead on who to contact at the Foyle Family History Centre of the local LDS church. I was disappointed to see that the Culture Wall was not completely intact. The portion where our photo should have been was gone. It had a section on the south end that had been removed. A few years ago, I read about this wall going up in Derry with 27,000 individual photos taken from Facebook profile pictures. It was easy to submit mine, and I made one with both Philip and me in it. We will have to go back again when, hopefully, it will be restored.

After a long morning of researching and walking, we returned to the flat for lunch. Philip worked on school stuff and I did laundry. There is a washer/dryer combo machine in the flat. I have
never heard of anyone who liked the dryer part of this type of machine, and when Allan showed us to the apartment he said that it wasn't very good. The washer part was great. It took two hours to do a load, but the clothes were almost dry when they came out without running the dry cycle.

For dinner, we walked to Quaywest Wine Bar and Restaurant. Food was good. Our bar waitress was on her first day of working there. She was very sweet and successfully took good care of us. The dining room is upstairs from the kitchen, and I saw young men carrying heavy trays up and down all evening.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb