Limavady and Aghanloo


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Northern Ireland
July 8th 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 54.9976, -7.32062

Philip made arrangements with the director of the Foyle Family History Centre to meet him there this morning. Keith Wright was extremely helpful and willing to spend a lot of time looking for our ancestors for us and showing us other places to look when we get home. Lots is online, but not everything. We'll need to come back to Belfast sometime to see the records held there at PRONI. We drove to Limavady and Aghnaloo looking for churches and graveyards that might have been part of the McDevitt clan's lives. We didn't see any McDevitt headstones, but we did find a few Stewarts.

While we were looking around the Church of Ireland church building in Aghnaloo, the caretaker arrived to do some work. He offered to let us in the church to look around. At one point, he and Philip were talking about who the reverend of the church was. The caretaker told Philip that Canon Ferry would be in the rectory. Philip asked him how to get to the rectory. He looked puzzled and responded, "Well, if ye don't know, then I can't tell ye." You might guess that we didn't find it. We also found
the Presbyterian and Church of Ireland churches in Limavady.

We stopped for lunch at Granny Annie's in Limavady. It was a fine lunch. Philip and I were both surprised by what we received to eat. He ordered lasagna, but what was served looked more like a green chili chicken casserole. At the bottom, he finally uncovered some tomato sauce. I ordered the chicken escalope thinking it would be bite-sized pieces in a creamy sauce. What I got was a chargrilled chicken breast with brown gravy. It was delicious, just not what I expected. We are frequently surprised when traveling and ordering something that sounds familiar, only to find out it is not the same in the new place.

Driving today was on little roads around the rural areas, but the GPS knew how to get around. We got back to Derry about 4 p.m. when traffic was starting to get heavy. We drove straight to the car park easily. We had dinner in the room with the leftover lunch groceries from yesterday.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb