Kerry meets Derry or Londonderry


Advertisement
Published: September 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

LondonderryLondonderryLondonderry

housing projects on the left
I was not nervous at all going to Northern Ireland just anxious. Back home, people said we should be extra careful, stay on the bus with all the troubles going on with the political conflict, but I figured what happens, happens and is beyond our control. Our director said we could possibly be stopped at the border but we were not. There wasn't any, at least where we went through. Bill said it was just as safe as any place in America and had one area (street) where there could be a problem area just like cities in America have their areas to stay away from. Our first stop was in LONDONDERRY or DERRY, a walled city, where we had a local guide give us a city walking tour. It is also known as the "Maiden City" because it's walls were never breached during the Siege of Derry from 1688-1689. We saw the GUILDHALL and the old city walls and then went inside ST. COLUMB'S CATHEDRAL. St. Columb's is the mother church of the Church of Ireland built in 1633. From the walls, we had views of the city; seeing the main road, housing projects and mountains in the distance. Then back on the bus to what would quickly become 2 of my favorite sights in all of Ireland!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb