What do you call an irishman whos been dead for 50 years? Peat!


Advertisement
Published: May 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ireland day 5

What a better way to start the day than finding not 1, but 2 rainbows! Our first stop was at Gaynah's bar for Baily's hot chocolate at Killary Harbour, Ireland's only inland Ford. The fireplace was welcoming, the chocolate hot, the Baily's potent... Hmm 10am is usually a little early for alcoholic beverages though! We had lunch at Mayo county with our smaller group of now only 4 (myself, Candra, Neil and Claire) as we lost Shannon and Nathan to the 5 day group. We got together for a yummy lunch sitting on the steps of the statue at West Port which was founded in 1780.

We then went through Sligo county to the Glenn Carr waterfall which was made famous by W.B. Yates who wrote 'The stolen child'. It is 'spring' (ie. still stupidly cold) so all the lambs are frolicking in the meadows, they are very cute. Carol told us about another Irishwoman, this time not touched in the head.

Grainne O'Malley was the daughter of a bowerful business man and pirate who worked off the west coast of Ireland. He was very clever and taught her Gaelic, English and Latin. She took over the business after her father died and built it into her own empire. Unfortnately Queen Elizabeth was at this time taking over various estates and business in Ireland and liked the idea of owning Grainne's glorious empire. She stormed the castle 3 times but to no avail, as Grainne was shrewed in more than just her business. Elizabeth believing Grainne to be a pirate savage invited her to England to discuss her land rights. To the dismay of her Irish follows she decided to go. When she got there on principal she refused to speak English, and the Queen did not know Gaelic so they eventually found a common ground in speaking Latin. Queen Elizabth quickly realised that Grainne was certainly no pirate savage and recognised as a fellow powerful business leader that she was. Grainne had mad her point and Elizabeth agreed to leave Grainne to run her own affairs. It is said that they continued to correspond throughout the future years.

After crossing the border into Northern Ireland we arrived in Fermangh county to stay at the small town of Enniskillen and took a boat trip out on Loch Erne to the Devenish Monastic site. There was a massive tower, graveyard and beautiful views from the top of the hillside. We scrambled around the ruins for a while before heading back to town for a traditional dinner at an Irish pub.

Advertisement



26th May 2012

Complimento
Hey, another great article. And to expand on the Peat theme...an Irish DJ...mike..and an Irishman wid a shovel...Doug and without one? Douglas and the poor Colleen wid only one leg...Eileen! Love reading about your adventures..keep up the good work.

Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1137s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb