The Titanic Museum and Afternoon walking about


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Northern Ireland » County Down » Belfast
April 29th 2023
Published: May 5th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Since yesterday wasn't uplifting enough, we spent this morning at the Titanic Museum. Very well done museum, tracing the Titanic from inception, planning, building, furnishing, launching, sailing, sinking, and investigations.

--There were no laundry facilities on board so all the linens that would be need for the trip were on board;

--I guess you haven't used the bathroom till you've used a Royal Doulton urinal;

--Rivets (3,000,000 of them) were driven by hand. Put the red-hot rivet through the hole, two men on one side hammering while another on the other side blocking so the metal would curl back on itself. This worked better if you have a left- and a right-handed man working together hammering; it was faster and they didn't get in each other's way.

Returned to the city itself and went on a bit of a walk with the tour guide. Had to see the Crown Bar; packed as it always is. A number of snugs for small groups/couples. Beautiful old bar. We then walked around a bit, down Donegal Street, people watching and heading for our restaurant.

After a great meal, time to pack to move on to Derry tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Crown Bar CrownCrown Bar Crown
Crown Bar Crown

Crown Bar Pub--He was Protestant, she Catholic. He wanted to name the pub The Crown in honor of the Queen (Victoria). She said ok but only if everyone who walks in has to wipe their feet on that crown. This is in the entryway.
DinnerDinner
Dinner

at Mourne Seafood--great grilled seabass. Very small restaurant. We had made reservations; it was down a side street but we managed to find it just in time.


Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb