Day 6 - Belfast


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Odyssey Arena in Belfast at the WPFG gamesOdyssey Arena in Belfast at the WPFG gamesOdyssey Arena in Belfast at the WPFG games

Roger, Chris, Sue and Garth, waiting for the RCMP Buffaloes vs Helsinki hockey game to begin.
Fun day today in Belfast. Explored the Ulster Museum across from the hotel this morning; lots of history about "the troubles" and everything that led up to it right back to the 1200's. LOTS of resentment built up here for centuries! They had a very good display of paintings from Irish artists.

Walked through the Botanic Garden after that, right next door, and explored the Palm greenhouse then the rest of the 20 acre park ending up in a small café near the hotel for lunch.

Walked down to Queens University after that and toured the grounds where over 20,000 students register each year.

Supper was at the "Bot" Botanic Inn, next door to the hotel. The big attraction there is a meal and a pint for only 5 pounds! I had a half rack of ribs and a pint of Magners pear cider which I think I liked better than the Kopperberg I've been drinking here so far. This was a great old pub, very good food, and you can't beat that price!

This evening we took a taxi across town to the Odyssey Arena to watch a World Police and Fire Games, hockey game! The
Half rack of ribs at the BotHalf rack of ribs at the BotHalf rack of ribs at the Bot

These ribs and a pint for only 5 pounds!
Canadian RCMP Buffaloes were playing a Helsinki team in the 35+ division. They played 3 15-minute periods and only had two lines and looked REALLY tired 10 minutes into each period but pretty good hockey actually. We were outplayed a little but it was an exciting, close game. Lots of penalties, two penalty shots from our team, one fight, and we tied it up at 6-6 with only 2 seconds left! We lost 2-0 in the shootout though. Lots of Irish spectators around us were watching their first ever hockey game and they all loved it and found it really exciting. Tomorrow evening the Toronto police team is playing a Russian team for the gold medal division 1 series but we'll unfortunately be in Portrush by then so can't make it to that one.

A nice local couple leaving the arena when we did phoned a taxi for us and we stopped at Maggie Mays for coffee and dessert before crossing the street back to our hotel for the night. Maggies is a great little place for lunch or dessert and great coffee.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Magners Pear CiderMagners Pear Cider
Magners Pear Cider

Better than Kopperberg! I think so! :)
Dessert at Maggie MaysDessert at Maggie Mays
Dessert at Maggie Mays

Chocolate Fudge Cake with Ice Cream and a cappuccino.


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb