Classes Begin


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Northern Ireland » County Antrim » Belfast
September 26th 2007
Published: September 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I am back! My apologies for not having updated my blog for some time. However, the internet was not working in my building for the past few days. The solution was finally discovered last night. So with that said I am back in business.

Classes started for my program this past Monday. To be quite honest I am very happy to get things underway. Though I enjoyed having nothing to do but explore and travel about, it is certainly time to begin my studies. I have two classes this semester; Research Methods, and Modernity and Its Discontents which I have on Tuesday afternoons. The Methods class is required of all postgraduate students as we are required to write a thesis in the final stages of our time here. The latter course will prove to be quite interesting as we seek to identify when modern literature really began, and what brought about its particular age. Yesterday we delved into the likes of Jonathan Swift, William Wordsworth, James Thompson, and T.S. Eliot. As far as first classes go it was very enjoyable, as well as enlightening.

Other news from Queen's is that the university continues to find itself at the center of awards and accolades. Last year it was named to the UK's elite Russell Group. Two days ago I was informed that Queen's University-Belfast was named University of the Year in Great Britain by the Sunday Times. As you can imagine the people here are very excited.

With that said, I will now retire to the books and continue to broaden, or attempt to broaden, the intellectual horizons. I will be posting an entry this weekend after I return from Bangor where I am racing with the Abbey Athletic Club in a 10K road race along the coast. Until then keep well.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb