Planning is hard.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
September 29th 2015
Published: September 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Zoë came over this weekend with two of my other friends from uni for my birthday. Among cake making, go ape, cocktails, exploring my town, and climbing, we managed to get some planning done.

Friday night, cosied up infront of my woodburner with google and a notepad at the ready, we realised we had no clue where to start. After much uming and ahing, we decided to start in South East Asia and work our way down to Australia and then on to New Zealand. And that's about as far as we got... well, we did spend a long time looking at google images of amazing looking beaches, caves, and waterfalls and proclaming, only half jokingly, 'screw it, lets just go now'. Then of course we thought it might be a good idea to work out if either of us actually had any money, me still being jobless of course 😞, and we decided that we should be all set money-wise by around February/March 2016.

So there we go, where and when planned in the vaguest way possible.

On Monday we went climbing and spent the train journey stalking all the facebook pictures of our friends who had already been travelling. After climbing we stopped off at the STA travel shop and picked up pretty much every brochure in the place... each. We then went our separate ways, Zoë back down south, and me back home. The whole way home we were both nose-deep in the SE Asia, and Australasia brochures and texting eachother with things we absolutely had to do. I had also picked up a campervan brochure and reading through it I was getting more and more excited by the idea of hiring a campervan and having a roadtrip through Australia and New Zealand. I texted Zoë and she loved the idea, and we made our plan. Once reaching Australia, we would hire a campervan and drive from Cairns to Sydney, stopping off to see all the sights along the way, the brochure says this should take 21 days, 1784 miles! Then we would make our way to New Zealand, hire another campervan and drive from Queenstown to Aukland, a total of 26 days and 1486 miles. That's a lot of petrol!

So with a vague plan for Asia, and a solid plan for Australia and New Zealand, we now have to organise all the boring, albeit important stuff -travel insurance, visas, and jabs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb