A Week To Go


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
May 14th 2005
Published: May 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

With one week to go the planning, fundraising, shopping for Immodium and breaking in of walking boots of the last 5 months are nearly at an end and the nervous excitement is kicking in. In 7 days the group will have departed these not so sunny shores for Namibia, traveling via Frankfurt before landing in Windhoek. After an overnight flight, where we will be able to experience first hand the luxury that is Air Namibia, we have a 4 hour bus ride to enable a bit of acclimatization before being unceremoniously dumped in the middle of the Namib desert to trek the final 10k to camp.

The week will see us renovating 2 kindergarten buildings in a remote desert community, that are currently collapsing and a danger to the children. We will also create a safe playground to replace the rusty car that at present is their only facility. It will be hard work, we won’t smell nice but it will be worth all of the effort to provide a safe environment for 35 young children to be educated, not to mention raising thousands of pounds to support the great work that is done by Barnardo’s and Get Connected here in the UK.

As long as we can overcome a few minor technical issues this week we should have a sat link up and running in time for our departure that will enable us to provide daily updates for friends, family and colleagues who really ought to be working!

More soon.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb