Southampton


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
July 14th 2014
Published: July 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

SouthamptonSouthamptonSouthampton

Some of the hips crew on the way to the pound store to buy supplies
12/07/14

Southampton: Once across the English Channel we made contact with the Southampton Pilots confirming our ETA to the pilot station. We then reported into the Southampton traffic reporting system as we proceeded towards the NAB Channel where our Pilot embarked. Once the Pilot was onboard we entered into the NAB Channel and continued up in to the Thorn Channel where we took a series of large alterations past the Calshot Reach. Once in the swinging basin we swung Dawn Princess through 180 degrees and headed back down to our berth where we came alongside early in the morning. With the second leg of our world cruise from Dubai to Southampton now complete the number of kilometres traveled was 16,056.84 to be precise.

We disembarked early this morning to do some shopping then returned back on board in time for lunch, and was very fortunate to dine with the new Captain and his wife, at the Horizon’s Court, of course it was the Captain’s private dining table.

After lunch we returned back into town for a browse around, went and had a haircut which cost 12 pound 90 pence, which was about $23.00. In Southampton there is a
SouthamptonSouthamptonSouthampton

Original anchor of the Q.E.2
memorial/monument to the Mayflower which set sail for the new world in 1620 as previously mentioned, I asked a number of locals if they knew where the memorial/ monument was and no one knew. I even asked a taxi driver if he had a clue mentioned the year 1620 and he wanted to know if I was looking for the Titanic memorial. I guess the locals don’t much care about local history as there is so much of it here in England.



I was just informed that Southampton has the world’s oldest Bowling Green still in use it was founded in 1299, I would like to see the honour board for the committee dating back all those years.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

SouthamptonSouthampton
Southampton

Entrance to Bar gate


Tot: 0.347s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb