Soccer fans all !!!!!!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
June 17th 2006
Published: June 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I can't repeat often enough how soccer crazy Europe is. In Germany, there are super large screens in big plazas for the fans to gather....even if their country's team isn't even playing. Here in the UK, huge flags are flying from homes, smaller ones from cars and the pubs are doing fantastic business when a game is on.

My host and I went into London on Saturday and after an afternoon of sightseeing and window shopping, we decided to stop in at an Italian restaurant for a little pizza. There was plenty of good natured ribbing as the game that was about to start was between the USA and Italy!!!! The "padrone" kept giving me the high sign when Team USA successfully squashed an Italian play and kept saying "stupido" when a USA player was injured. Of course I was gentlemanly enough to shake his hand when Italy scored the first goal. Later, when we were upstairs at another pub, the crowd was definately pro-USA and the noise was deafening....especially when USA tied the game 1-1. Even after overtime, the game ended 1-1. Even I am curious to see what happens next!!!!! On tuesday night, England is playing Sweden....whom they haven't won against in 31 years!!! We'll probably go to the pub up the street and join in the atmosphere!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.826s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.2731s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb