One year on


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
February 15th 2011
Published: February 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

One year onOne year onOne year on

Doesn't time fly
We have just celebrated a year of touring the UK in our caravan. It has gone so fast, we have seen so much and enjoyed every minute of it, in fact we may have to go round again! Don’t know how we’ve managed to live in such a confined space for so long without driving each other mad but we have, and still no arguments.

We started off the New Year with a quick trip to Bath. It lived up to it’s name as is was quite wet while we were there, but it didn’t stop us exploring the historic city with it’s fascinating old buildings. From the site we could walk the two miles to the city centre along the canal and river and then back through the Royal Crescent and Royal Victoria Country Park – fantastic.

North Devon was our next stop as we needed to get the van serviced and a few things fixed. Really mixed weather, we had fog, very strong winds, torrential rain and some fantastic sunny days – we had our one hundredth picnic at Barnstable, which is where we stopped when we picked the van up a year ago. We also went to Ilfracombe on a glorious day and cycled to Morthoe and Woolacombe where some very brave surfers were trying their luck but they didn’t seem to stay out long. When we had packed the van up to leave the first time it had seemed very frightening, but we are old hands now, this was our fiftieth stop, and it was much easier.

St Leonards was our next stop and we had wonderful weather and explored Avon Heath Country Park and Hurn Forest by bike and foot. We took the opportunity to drop in and see Trevor’s cousin Stella and her husband Paul in Poole while we were there, nice to see them again.

More visits followed with a return to Fareham to see Emma and Andy and Findon to see Jackie’s mum and brother Nick. Emma and Andy kidnapped us and took us back to Poole (never been there before, now twice in three days!) to see their wedding venue and check out the local eateries for the reception – very nice. A quick stop in Tewkesbury to see Trevor’s mum led to an afternoon in Gloucester – the docks looked as if they would be very interesting on a dry day when the wind wasn’t blowing a gale, will return when the weather improves. In fact the wind is proving a real pain, two days of trying to tow the caravan in it and having to pitch at weird angles to stop it being battered, hope it improves soon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Surfers at WoolacombeSurfers at Woolacombe
Surfers at Woolacombe

To cold for us in January


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb