And the journey begins


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
September 13th 2010
Published: September 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a rushed pack and bidding farewell to our Mums, Pers and I set of for our Euro trip. The 24 hour flight with a short stop in Bangkok was surprisingly OK. Time was past by watching movies, sleeping and enjoying the British Airways airplane food. We reached Bangkok around 12pm Sydney time (8 hours into the flight.) The airport was very humid and the many smoke and prayer rooms provided a slight culture shock. The 30-60 minutes we spent in the there were fairly uneventful other than a strange encounter with a female security guard.
Back on the plane we were entertained by a woman who spent 12 of the 24 hour flight pacing back and forth down the isle with her hair covering her eyes. We decided she must be preparing for her role in the next Ring movie. I was lucky enough to be seated next to 2 friendly travelers Persia on the other hand was stuck with a, "pommy bitch" the entire flight.

We arrived in Heathrow at 6am, map of Europe in hand and absolutely no booked plans. After nearly 2 hours waiting in customs we got our homes (backpacks) and set of. In our excitement we left the airport and began aimlessly wondering till we came to the conclusion we probably weren't in the best place to aimlessly walk around. After lots of laughing and wrong paths we found our way via the famous underground sub to the heart of London.

The first thing that amazed us about London was the doll house like structure of the city. The beautiful old houses were all perfectly aligned in rows each one identical to the next. We joked about how people find their way home when they all look so alike. This later proved to be more difficult then I had originally thought. The next few hours were spent 'snailing' around London with plenty of opportunity to knock people out with our over sized bags around the crowded streets of London.

Our original plan to take the overnight ferry to Amsterdam failed when we discovered it had been booked out. Luckily Persia's second cousin Anil kindly hosted us for the night, providing a great meal and a well needed sleep. On my return from a short run around London I managed to buzz the the wrong house, a very similar one a few doors down. Thankfully the man who answered didn't let me in so we avoided that awkward moment. After a few more minutes waiting on the doorstep in confusion I realized I was at the wrong house and ran of to our place.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb