Back in England


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
April 20th 2010
Published: May 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After Tunisia we headed back to England for a few weeks. It seems it rained heavily on the day we arrived but before our flight touched down. We then hardly saw any rain in the whole 5 weeks we were back!

Our first port of call was the tiny village of Wherwell. Tired from the trip back, we had booked into the White Lion Inn via Late Rooms. Even without the discount the rooms are pretty good value and it's the closest thing to a traditional English country pub you are likely to find these days. We loved staying there and wandering around the village. More than that, we loved sitting by the log fire drinking real ale and eating their delicious pies!

From there we headed down to Devon and stayed with family in the village of Thorverton. It was great to see everyone again and it really is a lovely part of the country. We took a trip into Exeter and the riverside area is very nice nowadays. We also made it down to Plymouth but that was more business than pleasure!

Next up was a trip to Boscombe, near Bournemouth, and a reunion with Russ' former landlady there. Amazingly Russ and Ruth share the same birthday! It was good to catch up but we wish the circumstances had been different. RIP Peter and sorry we didn't get the chance to say goodbye.

Our journey continued to the Essex coast and Frinton-on-Sea. There we walked along the coast (see the panorama above) and battled the strong and bitter winds! It's a shame the stiff breeze made it so cold as the sun shone most of the time we were there. A brief trip to Chiselhurst in Kent followed and it was good to see Trish's sister, Sue, again.

A good few hours North up the A1 and we were soon in Grimsby. Whenever we are up there we always take a walk along the seafront. Don't knock it until you've tried it!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Very BritishVery British
Very British

Red phone box, red post box and a wheelie-bin!!
Tovey CottageTovey Cottage
Tovey Cottage

Anything to do with your lot, Rob???!
CleethorpesCleethorpes
Cleethorpes

The Leaking Boot Statue


Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb