To pack or not to pack?


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
June 4th 2009
Published: June 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Where to start?Where to start?Where to start?

Simon gets overwhelmed at the number of things he needs to pack.
Have you ever tried to pack 7 weeks' worth of clothes, toiletries, shoes, accessories and other essentials into a tiny space about the size of an oversized handbag? What a blinking nightmare! There is no room for any of those 'maybe I'll wear this' outfits. It's all about essentials. This means things like sensible shoes. Not two words I would ordinarily use together but I now have not one but two pairs of functional footwear. There's no room for Jimmy Choo in Africa. Not with all the insect repellent we have to pack and the cutlery, sunscreen, bowl, mosquito net, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, first aid kit...

Thankfully we are back in the UK after Africa for 3 days so will be able to offload the items we needed for camping and replace them with more clothes before we head off round the world.

It's been an adventure in itself buying things for the trip. We have been frequent visitors to outdoor shops and practically have our own personal shopper in Millets. I had to buy a waterproof jacket which was one of the most miserable shopping experiences I have ever had. Who designs these hideous things? Shopping for
My capsule wardrobeMy capsule wardrobeMy capsule wardrobe

How is it all going to fit in this small excuse for a bag? And what about the toiletries, shoes, waterproof, sleeping mat....
the useful stuff has opened up a whole new world of foldable cutlery, towels that resemble chamois leather, self-inflating roll mats and head torches. If you don't have a head torch you need to get one. Seriously they are so useful. Oh no I'm turning into a geek already!

Another item I have found invaluable is the packing cube. These come in various sizes and colours and you use them to segregate clothing. Well that's the idea anyway but in practice I've crammed as much into each as I possibly can. So for 7 weeks I have a capsule wardrobe of 3 dresses, 1 skirt, 8 tops, 2 pairs of shorts, 3 pairs of trousers, 1 bikini, 1 swimsuit, 1 sarong, 1 kaftan and the aforementioned sensible footwear. Gok Wan eat your heart out.

So we are all packed and ready to go - roll on Sunday!

PS Thanks to all who have sent us messages and cards, we really appreciate the good luck wishes and hope you enjoy following us on our adventure.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The magical packing cubesThe magical packing cubes
The magical packing cubes

It is actually possible to fit all those clothes into just two of these handy cubes!
It fits!It fits!
It fits!

Simon is about to topple over with the 19 kilos on his back but at least he's packed.


6th June 2009

bon voyage
enjoyed reading all about it, hope you have wonderful time. Keep each other safe and be sensible, also ENJOY YOURSELVES.Love mum and dad H.

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb