I love... York..


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
May 19th 2009
Published: May 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So today was nice because we were able to finally sleep in!!! I slept in a soft comfy bed all cuddled up in a thick duvet and it was awesome. We woke up pretty early still just because the sun came up so early so I headed downstairs with Bethany and we helped ourselves to breakfast like Hannah's mom told us to the night before. We were beyond thrilled to find bagels and fruit and juice, and hot chocolate. Something other than an egg sandwich for breakfast was just shocking!!

We hung around until around 11 when Hannah started waking up and we got ready to go sightsee a little bit. It was raining a little on and off, but thats England in the spring for you. We walked around Selby (Hannah's hometown) and I was just in love with the brick buildings and old churches. We went to a bakery and ate a pasty which was like a super light and flaky pastry stuffed with cheese and bacon. It was like a luxurious hot pocket or something. Plus we got these cheese straws that tasted like cheese its and were equally light and flaky.

We got on a double decker bus headed to York which is the "city" about 10 minutes away. We rode on the second floor and had a great view of the countryside. Hannah was giving us a little tour with the history of the local area and explaining little things like the small villages around and stuff. It was really cool!!

Once we got into York we wandered around quite a bit. I couldnt believe how amazing the buildings were. Old brick buildings and cobblestone roads and huge old churches... exactly like the movies. There were even little pubs and alley ways, I couldnt believe places like this actually exist.

We walked around and looked at some of the really old churches that were straight up stunning. Its so crazy to walk into a church with crypts in it and just think that this building is hundreds of years older than AMERICA. The weather turned from sprinkling to raining so we walked into a Starbucks!! So delicious, plus its an unwritten rule in York that Starbucks have to be in some sort of cool building so this one was in an old bank with beautiful molding on the roof. We hung out there and then we wandered around into a few shops and explored around a bit.

At one point we walked down this street called "The Shambles" that is a little more touristy. Its a really old narrow road and the buildings are so old that they literally are leaning into the alley. While we were there we went into a "sweets" shop where they have old fashioned candy in these jars. The people who worked there let us try a few candies and then we bought a few things to snack on.

After that we really just wandered around the city a little more and went by the Dungeons (we didnt go in because its turned into a sort of haunted house and those that know me know thats not my thing!!) and then went over by the old castle. We wandered around a little more and then hopped on a train back into Selby.

When we got to Hannah's house, we joined her mom in going to this park that is a gorgeous walkway through the woods so that way we could walk the dog. It was just so peaceful and beautiful! A little cold for me, but not too bad with layers. England in the spring is so pretty!!! Being in towns outside of London and seeing the "countryside" really makes me want to come back any like go to grad school or something! Its so pretty.

Tomorrow we are taking a train into London and checking that out for the day before I head back to the states on Thursday.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb