Stonehenge to Bath


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
July 24th 2007
Published: April 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a very quick exit out of Heathrow, Iz and I collected our wheels, and also made a speedy exit out of the airport - thanks to our trusty SATNAV. People had warned us that we would be lost in the airport for days, so it was great to get out on the road. The drive to Stonehenge didn't take long, and before we knew it, we were walking around the huge monoliths with tonnes of other tourists. It is amazing to see them in real life - as you don't reliase the true size of each stone until you are there with them...and even then, you can't stand beside them as the area is roped off. I'm sure they'd look even taller if you could.

Conspiracy theories aside (was it Aliens, or humans - how did they get here?) we spent an hour or so at the 'henge', then got back in the car for our next destination - Bath. We'd heard a lot about this town too, and were looking forward to seeing the ancient Roman ruins. A hot bath would be just lovely...

Finding the BnB was no hassle and we were glad to have a quick shower and get out of our flight clothes. Then we caught a bus into the city centre to take a tour of the the old baths, including pump rooms and the huge open air area where the Romans would congregate. It is amazing to think that this technology was invented so long ago! The Roman's certainly knew how to kick back and relax.

After having a squiz around town, we thought it best to jump on the red bus and do the full tour. It was a bit chilly on the rooftop, but the sights were well worth the cold. Bath is a gorgeous little town, with tonnes of gardens and old buildings. I can't imagine growing up somewhere like this.

Once off the bus, it was time for a hearty meal at the local backpackers, then back up the hill for a nice warm shower (no bath in the BnB - how ironic) before we hit the sack. It was good getting out on the road and doing some driving...we are looking forward to exploring the English countryside again and a hearty English breakie in the moro!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb