Historic Towns and Ancient Sites


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
April 2nd 2009
Published: April 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

02 April 2009

02 April 2009

The morning was spent visiting Marlborough, a delightful market town with a very attractive main street.

We then moved on to the first of several ancient sites in the area that we planned to visit, West Kennet Long Barrow, a chamber tomb dating form about 3250 BC constructed on the top of a low hill and a pleasant short walk from the road about the right length for Wendy’s recovering leg.

Across the road from here is Silbury Hill which is the largest prehistoric artificial mound in Europe. In order to protect the mound, public access is not allowed but it had a pleasant adjacent car park which made a good lunch stop.

Our next visit was to Avebury a huge stone circle and earthwork built about 2500 BC. The village of the same name stands in the midst of the circle. We were able to park the van in the centre of the village using Wendy’s disabled sticker and manged to walk the complete circle, about a mile.

The final stop of the day was at Lacock, an attractive feudal village managed by the Nation Trust. It has been used as the location for several films including the Harry Potter series.

We stopped the night at the Camping and Caravan Club site at Salisbury which is in an excellent location being only just over a mile from the old city and on a bus route.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.358s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb