York: Neither up nor down


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
December 29th 2008
Published: December 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Photos from a trip to England's middle, which has left me far too tired to write anything. Hopefully I haven't posted so many photos that the page won't load.

Happy New Year to all. I hope your Christmas presents were as awesome as mine (Mint Slices and Furry Friends, if you were wondering).




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The River Ouse, YorkThe River Ouse, York
The River Ouse, York

My colleague tells me this actually means 'River River', because Ouse is a generic Norse word for river. This photo is from Christmas morning, when only a few dog walkers were out and about.
Mirror, mirrorMirror, mirror
Mirror, mirror

A goose drinks from a puddle beneath Clifford's Tower, which is not where a hairy dog lived at all, but rather the stronghold of the old castle.
Clifford's towerClifford's tower
Clifford's tower

The tower again, and still on Christmas Day.
Off to open presents?Off to open presents?
Off to open presents?

A minister farewells his congregation after the Christmas service. We stopped for a while here to listen to the organ music. The minister, coincidentally, used to live in Blaxland.
Rub a dub dubRub a dub dub
Rub a dub dub

Boxing day morning in York, when we went for a walk around William the Conquerer's impressive walls. Along the way are brass 'rubbings' which make up, piece by piece, a map of York. We missed a corner, and so had to walk around the 3.5km walls one-and-a-half times.
Sunny daySunny day
Sunny day

Kate stops to take a photo of Yorkminster.
Totally posedTotally posed
Totally posed

A better photo of Kate.
ConcentrationConcentration
Concentration

We paused our walk around the wall to book a turn on the ice-skating rink, and laugh shamelessly at children learning to skate with penguins on skis.
Ouch. That hurt.Ouch. That hurt.
Ouch. That hurt.

Surprisingly, Kate and I didn't fall over nearly as often as the kids, even though we did resort to penguins. I did, howevr, stack it the following day while demonstrating the funky chicken on icy rock.
YorkminsterYorkminster
Yorkminster

I tried to take a front on photo of Yorkminster, but it's too big. This is taken from the walls. We did go inside, for midnight eucharist on Christmas Eve. The man giving the sermon had a very Monty Pythonesque lisp.
Squirrel!Squirrel!
Squirrel!

We tried to find the museum, but it was shut, so we watched squirrels instead.
Caving, kind ofCaving, kind of
Caving, kind of

After York we went to Malham, in the Yorkshire Dales national park. We went for a walk and Kate explored some shallow caves in limestone above Malham Cove.
DisgustingDisgusting
Disgusting

Kate eats some ice laced with giardia.
Money growing on treesMoney growing on trees
Money growing on trees

A penny tree, where people hammer in pennies (and a few 20p coins) for good luck.
Cold viewCold view
Cold view

We walked to the top of Rye Loaf Hill (part of our mission to climb all the hills in England named after bread) where it was so cold somebody had built a rock wall for shelter.
Janet's FossJanet's Foss
Janet's Foss

Where the queen of fairies supposedly lives. And yes, her name is Janet.
Gordale ScarGordale Scar
Gordale Scar

This valley was left by water rushing of melting glaciers. It was a rather hair-raising climb beside a waterfall to make it all the way to the top of the valley.
Oh my, it's me.Oh my, it's me.
Oh my, it's me.

And a cool waterfall, with birds flying in the gap between cliffs.
The scar againThe scar again
The scar again

From the top, this time.
Joseph the technicolour sheepJoseph the technicolour sheep
Joseph the technicolour sheep

They might not like mulesing, but the English sure do like marking their sheep with psychadelic colours. Joseph was not nearly the most colourful; he was simply the only one that would stand still.
Above Malham CoveAbove Malham Cove
Above Malham Cove

Limestone pavement above the cove, another glacial sculpture.


30th December 2008

Some tasty pics!!
Coals to Newcastle and Ministers from Blaxland!! All Hail Queen Janet! She sounds real exotic for a fairie Queen with a name like that... Your pics and words make the places you've visited and photographed much more palpably real. Keep 'dem blogs a coming Jacqui!!

Tot: 0.368s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0945s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb