Day 21—York, Selby


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
October 5th 2007
Published: October 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Up at 8am. Got up and went to freshen up and shave. 2 Hot air balloons with Virgin plastered on them, flying overhead. These probably are not advertising, but some service RB runs, as he seems to run everything else over here. He runs a railway line, which you don’t hear about back home. Couldn’t coax the kids out of bed to see them. Once back, the ducks must have realised we were out of bed, as they came calling at the door, and were duly fed ! Nice mild night and a bright blue skied morning.

We got the bus in to York at 10am and got off on the North side of town, then walked through the malls and markets towards the Minster. Chris, Aimee, Jordan and I went in and also signed up to walk the 275 steps to the top of the tower. Impressive view ! Very tight, narrow steps in some places. Even hit my head on the steps above a few times. The 30 minutes allocated to each group was spot on as once you go up, recover, look around and then get back down, there is little of your 30 minutes left. NB Phil, if you ever do it, be careful and breath in ! The rest of it, is the stock standard gothic, 700 year old, massive 90 metre long, 60 metre wide, statue filled, lead-lit old cathedral.

After that, we headed back through town and stopped in at our first Mcdonalds in 2 weeks. Much rejoicing by Thomas. Once filled, we wandered around the town and gardens around the museum, walked along the river and walked over the old bridge. We got back on the bus at the large train station, headed back to camp, and left a little before 3pm. We got on the A19 for a short, 30 minute trip to Selby to a “resort style” camp known as the Ranch. We didn’t get far fast, due to road works, but at least we were in no hurry. We have arrived here under grey skies. Also on arriving, we have noticed we no longer have an aerial on the roof of the camper ?!?!

It is Friday night tonight, so am planning to go to the Saloon Bar at the Ranch Caravan Park for dinner and the kids are presently running around the camp site.

Washing also beckons.

Later we went to the Saloon Bar and had a good feed of burgers, hot dogs and chips. Meal was cheap and so was the Beer. The smaller kids made friends with the owners youngest daughter Grace. They had a ball. Grace will probably inherit the place and run it with an iron fist !



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb