Windsor Castle


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
September 7th 2005
Published: September 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We drove from Bristol to Ian’s house in Berkhampstead today (30 minutes outside of London). On the way we stopped off at Windsor Castle. When we rolled into town the British flag was flying at the castle which meant that the Queen was in town. How exciting!

William the Conqueror initially built the castle and chose a location high above the river Thames and on the edge of a Saxon hunting ground. It was a day's march from the Tower of London and intended to guard the western approaches to the capital. Over a period of nearly 1,000 years it has been inhabited continuously, and altered and refurbished by successive monarchs.

Several of the monarchs are buried here including Henry VIII. In 1992 one part of the castle went up into flames. Fortunately, they had been doing work on that part of the castle so most of the famous portraits of the kings and queens weren’t in the building. It took 5 years to restore the castle. It was re-opened in 1997 for the 50th wedding anniversary of the king and queen. After touring the castle Ian and I walked through the town of Windsor. It was very British with lots of flags flying everywhere and tea served on every corner.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb