Euro Trip Day 3, Euro Trip with a vengeance


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire » Salisbury
June 20th 2011
Published: June 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Day 003, Monday June 20

The blisters have amalgamated into one single conglomerate, they're organized, they've even got their own ministry now, making ludicrous demands such as "for the love of god stop walking!" I oblige, and am now sitting on a train bound for Salisbury, and have just finished writing some post cards which will likly arrive home shortly after I do. The reason for this (the blisters, not the post) isn't due to aloyudback tracking, rather simple biological mechanics anyone who walks around town for 12 hours straight would be lucky to be still in posession of their feet. But I'll still severly miss London, 2 days is not enough time to see everything, but we most definately made the most of it, and finished off with a giant plate of the best fish and chips I've ever had, recommended to us by a helpful security guard, I drenched them in malt vinagear and dipped in far too much tartar sauce! Delicious!

It's 9:40 am, and we have another hostel waitng for us in Salisbury, from which we will depart for what I anticipate will be the craziest party I've ever attended. Just celebrating a littel something called the Summer Solstice, at a little place known as Stone Henge, that's right, once a year they remove the barricades and let us irresponsible party goers touch and fondle the stones as we party like it's 1999.

... 11:00 am

Sorry, fell asleep on train. Arrived in Salisbury to discover I've a fantastic sense of direction. Got us to the hostel sans faff! (love that word!) But it's 11:00, and seems check in is at 1:00. Checking wi-fi ... Nope, but there is cell signal!

... 3:00 am

I guess it's Tuesday now, in bed in a private room for a change, we saw a huge cathedral which houses some special artifacts which we couldnt photogrsph but I know I'll never forget looking at a King James bible, a couple of even older ones which served as previous standard British church bibles, and the best preserved copy of ... the Magna Carta! In a word ... Phenominal. In 2, Breath Taking.

Stone Henge was also a humbling sight. We arrived at 22:00 and it was packed! It's the Summer Solstice party which received 20,000 people last year and is expecting more this year and I can confirm it was packed! The best part is that this party is the only time each year they actually let you go up to the stones and touch them. They are truly incredible, it was an unforgetable experience, weaving in and out of the stones, touching each and every one of them, all the while dodging crazy loud drunken Brits! It was rediculously cold and started to rain but that just provokes the crowd to get closer and party harder! The grounds were heavily staffed with security and police, even saw someone get arressted and escorted into a mini fenced off guantanamo bay, and the whole thing was lit up with 4 sets of giant black lights, illuminating everything with an eerie etherial glow. With the exception of my hardly worn white runners which brought me through a half hour trek across rolling planes of England's farm land, finding themselves cakes in mud and likely maneure. The scary drunken Brits, extreme cold and rain proved to be a tad much for these two woefully unprepared mild mannered Canadians. We had fun, took lots of photos, met new people, but had to call it a night.

Wow, I've been tapping away on my iPhone and it's now 3:30, and I can hear Alyssa snore 😊 I don't think she knows that she does. It's time for sleep, 10:00 am check out time, then train to London and immediately another to Brussels in Belgium! Third city, and second country here we come!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb