touring yorkshire!!!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire
April 15th 2008
Published: April 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well i've been lazy for a while now, and i've been doing so much in the last few days so i guess i better tell you all about it!
I arrived in england last week i think wednesday, and travelled back up to Hessle to see my Aunty Sally again, and dad was going up there too so it was a good time to tour yorkshire and see where mum was born and grew up and played etc.
So we started on friday, wait, forgot to mention that uncle neil took us up the no access to public tower of his bridge the Humber Bridge, which was fantastic, tiny tiny tiny little slow slow slow elevator that takes you up the tower, on the inside, and then we stood on the top crossbar, the bridge is a suspension bridge and when built was the largest single span suspension bridge in the world! hooray! that was the day that dad arrived, and that night we had a lovely dinner, and an early night, we were all tired with lots of travelling to do in the next 2 days.
So friday we headed north towards bridlington and scarborrough and ended up in a place called whitby, which is mum's and aunty sally's faveourite town in england i think, and it was pretty cool! really cool old abbey that was more ruins, and there were lots of gravestones around the churches there. We had fish and chips for lunch and sat on the wall looking over the beach, or, as they say in england, the seaside, lol, it was pretty cold that day, like you lost feeling in fingers after 10 minutes of exposure, but it was all good. fish and chips were delicious, and i tried some things called welks, which are sort of like pippies, that shellfish type thingy, quite tasty, 😊
From whitby we headed inland to the moors, which are brilliant, i quite liked the moors, its all national park but you can let your animals graze there for free, as common land, and sheep have right of way on the road, lol, this is the area where heartbeat was filmed, and what do you know, we stopped in at the pub from the show, a real pub indeed, called the aydensfield arms. tiny little pub that loks much bigger on tv, but quite nice, from there we headed scenicly back to beverly where i was the last time i was here, and then back into hull, and an area i have no idea where in relation to north/south/east/west of central hull, but i saw where dad was born, where dad mum and aunty sally used to live, where aunty sally was born, and the areas where they spent their twenties. 😊 We then went to one of dads old rugby mates called Les gold, who's a character and a good laugh, and then it was time to head back home for dinner after a super long day!! 😊
That night we went out to dinner at Phillipa's work, the country park inn, where we hassled her and made a simple dinner order difficult by changin everyhting on the menu and making phillipa's life hell in the kitchen explaining to the chef;s that yes it is her family that is making everything so difficult! hehehe..
After dinner it was back home for much needed rest and another big day out! We started by heading off to i think its called hutton cranswick, but i am probably wrong, but its where my mummy grew up! on a pumping station in the middle of nowhere! but i couldnt imagine a better place to grow up, its changed a little now of course, but what there is still is 2 giant resorvoirs, a river, heaps of farmland, and lots and lots of land to play and get lost in! it was terrific, and 5 miles from the nearest town, it had its own little community as there were about 15 families or so that lived on the pumping station and would of been a brilliant place to grow up! Unfortunatrly mum's old house isnt there anymore, but a few of the houses are still there, and they have such a cool area to be in now!
From there it was off to the small town, the closest one, so we could have a coffee in the pub there, and apparerntly the pub hasnt changed a bit from when mum used to frequent it, and the school that she went to, and tghe village green and pond and a really coool little place!
Then it was onto york, which i really quite enjoyed, its busy but really really old, and the city walls still exist today and you can walk all the way around, so we walked a little way round, say the shambles, which is a really old street just like out of diagon alley from the harry potter movie, with the buildings hanging out over the street and all warped as they have been standing for 500 years or so. and the minster there is freaking massive! absolutley gigantic, and the bells wouldnt shut up, lol, really pretty! We saw a traditional tea shop as well where all the waitresses are dressed up in the old maid type outfits, really really posh and elegant and what not, butdecided to eat somewhere else as no doubt i would of broken something, teehee. theres lots of old places here, such as the tower, oh dear, i cant remember what its called now, but back in 1600 or so, it was where the jews took hiding from the current regime trying to kill them, and they all chose to instead of being murdered, they would take their own lives. which they did, on the top of the hill in this guard tower type thing, so sad..
From york it was back to Home, where we had dinner cooking, lovely lamb roast, and then some sleep!
Sunday brought us to saying goodbye to Aunty Sally, and heading into london, where i've met up with helen billingham, and we saw camden markets yesterday, which were really cool, i caught up with Jake Henry from platabeen on sunday night, and had a really good time with him, dad and beverly came out too, so it was a good night total!
and today i've had a good sleep, and about to go check out canary wharf, then meet jordie, then catch up with Erin and Kylie tonight for our turkey departure early tomnorrow morning!
yay, so i think i'm uptodate now! yay

love ya!

Hugs Benny

Advertisement



Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb