Day 110 - to Brinklow


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Warwickshire
September 2nd 2013
Published: September 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 110 - to Brinklow


0 locks, 425 in total.







After another very dull start, by afternoon the sun was stronger than we've had for several weeks – the sun cream was needed again but we have no complaints. We had about 3-4 hour motor to our moorings for tonight. It was mainly rural, despite motoring under 3 different motorways and following the railway for a stretch. And we saw a kingfisher again today - first one for weeks. Stretton Wharf was really busy – a hire boat company has taken over much of the towpath moorings and there are permanent moorings on the opposite bank; this left a long and narrow channel which just allowed two boats through. The water point doubled up as the swing bridge mooring which made life awkward when someone was taking on water. Nonetheless we got through unscathed and moored about a mile further on at Brinklow – a lovely sunny position.







We walked into the village to see the remains of a Norman motte and double bailey castle – all that remained was the 40 feet high motte but it was fun to climb and
Canalside cottages.Canalside cottages.Canalside cottages.

Originally intended for colliery workers, by 1850 the canal manager, an engineer and a blacksmith lived in this row.
the views were amazing. There was a Roman stronghold on this site, protecting the nearby Fosse Way. The Norman castle was apparently prefabricated in France, so presumably a wooden structure. The double bailey is unusual; both had cut grass and there were picnic tables in the outer bailey. It was very easy to see how everything had once been with hedges around each bailey to emphasise it.







Brinklow village is a collection of old houses and cottages, nothing particularly special but picturesque and worth a visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

An electricity sub-station....An electricity sub-station....
An electricity sub-station....

.... would account for all the pylons around here as they radiate outwards.
One of a strange collection of old cars....One of a strange collection of old cars....
One of a strange collection of old cars....

... all clean and cared for but impossible to move without a crane.
Once an old colliery arm....Once an old colliery arm....
Once an old colliery arm....

....now used for moorings but what a tight entry.
Looking back at Stretton Wharf...Looking back at Stretton Wharf...
Looking back at Stretton Wharf...

...no chance of a photo in the approach run.
Another view...Another view...
Another view...

...trying and failing to show the moat and the two bailies properly.


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb