Day 108 - Coventry Cathedral


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Warwickshire
August 31st 2013
Published: August 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

0 locks, 424 in total.







If you haven't already visited Coventry Cathedral then please do so – I'd seen pictures of it but they fail to do justice to the splendour and simple majesty of this building. Having said that, I've taken loads of photos which will probably leave you equally unimpressed but I can but try. The mission of the Cathedral is unity and reconciliation and it has become a world-wide centre for these aims. I was struck by the donations (not monetary, although I don't actually know that) that have come from so many countries - mosaic floors, organ, sculptures, bells etc from Australia, Czechoslovakia, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Japan and others - all to promote unity and reconciliation. There is a room specially devoted to this theme and in particular the horrors of H-bombs - there wasn't a dry eye in there.







Last night was interesting when just after we'd gone to bed a 'book-a-cruise' narrowboat came into the basin, disgorged its happy but noisy occupants, turned round in a very limited space (I think we may have been in the way – oops) and
headed back to who knows where. Unless it was an all-day party we are puzzled as to why we hadn't seen it on the long motor into Coventry; and I can think of plenty of better stretches of the canal for a celebratory cruise. There have been many comings and goings in the basin today but now we are back to just two boats. A wreck of a boat, shorter than ours, came in at lunchtime and made a hash of mooring. Then over the next few hours his visitors arrived, armed with drink. He made an even worse hash of turning around and they all set off again – about 20 of them, half on the roof – if anyone moved then the boat tipped alarmingly. It was an accident waiting to happen.







We washed the boat and polished half of it today – just thought I'd let you know that we're keeping up with the chores.







Oh, and boat number 3 has just come in, as I type, and hit us – we must have some sort of magnetic appeal (to plonkers)!


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement


It's that man again!It's that man again!
It's that man again!

The James Brindley statue from inside our boat.
St. Michael's TowerSt. Michael's Tower
St. Michael's Tower

Originally part of the bombed St Michael's Cathedral.
This cross was erected in the ruins.This cross was erected in the ruins.
This cross was erected in the ruins.

Two charred roof beams were lashed together as a symbol to all. A local priest also made a cross from three medieval nails and this is now the symbol of unity and reconciliation which is the cathedral's ministry.
Etched glass screen on the south entry wall.Etched glass screen on the south entry wall.
Etched glass screen on the south entry wall.

This is still known as the 'west' wall.
The Font.The Font.
The Font.

Carved boulder from the hillside by Bethlehem.
Stepped side to the Cathedral.Stepped side to the Cathedral.
Stepped side to the Cathedral.

On the side that the congregation sees are 8 large tablets of stone with Bible quotations that encapsulate Jesus' life and teaching. The edge facing the clergy and choir is stained glass.
One of the carved stone tablets.One of the carved stone tablets.
One of the carved stone tablets.

Under each is a stone bench.
The inside feels very spacious.The inside feels very spacious.
The inside feels very spacious.

There are no large columns, just these slender ones that taper towards the floor.
The Peace BellThe Peace Bell
The Peace Bell

Presented by Germany to commemorate the 50th anniversary.
An array of organ pipes.An array of organ pipes.
An array of organ pipes.

There are as many on the other side of the cathedral.
I think these are extra chairs for the clergyI think these are extra chairs for the clergy
I think these are extra chairs for the clergy

or possibly the Deacons - again, such a simple style.


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb