Warwick Castle


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Warwickshire
December 1st 2006
Published: December 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Went on a brilliant tour today was sooo cool. Got to London Victoria coach station at 9.00 and drove for two hours to Warwick Castle, I hadn't really heard of it before but it was brilliant. It belonged to the last current Earl of Warrickshire till the late seventies and he moved to Australia and sold it to Madame Tussauds they have made it great.

it'sa called Britian's greatest medieval experience. After doing all that medieval History it was brilliant. One part of the house was all done like a medieval household as they prepare for a real battle the Earl of Warrick fought during the 100 years war.

The last bit was just a beautiful old chapel and a dining room that was so gorgeous and elaborate and a great hall. The castle still had so mnay treasure, beautiful wood carvings, clocks that were Marie Antionette's, tapesteries and beautiful oils paintings some by Van Dyck the royal painter. I loved it. I learnt a bit about the English civil war too something I had previously known nothing about. The reason Warwick Castle is still standing is because they took the right side during the war a castle nearby who chose the wrong side is in ruins!

My favourite part was the Royal weekend party inside the former private apartments, It recreated the most lavish party that happened at Warrick Castle. It showed the young host of the party Daisy, Countess of Warwick and her friends preparing for the weekend party, and the servants preparing them. It had a young Winston Churchill and his recently widowed Mother and the toy boy she married quickly after, Clara Butt a famous nineteenth century singer and Paolo Tosti, music master to the Royal Family. The guest of honour was the Prince of wales Queen Victoria's eldest son Daisy's husband was very genorous and let him use his bathroom and his marriage bed!

The tour guide was great he told us that most of the furnishings and fittings are those that were actually there in 1898, and photographs taken at the time mean that it has been possible to put every chair, table, bed and book in exactly the place it occupied exactly 100 years ago. What a lavish impressive lifestyle.


The medieval exhibition was very cool too, ithe best bit was the Earl's horse was called Fortune
Weekend party Weekend party Weekend party

The woman sitting down is the recently widowed Winston Churchill's mother and behind her is the man she married soon after, the singer is a famous nineteenth century singer.
some of you will be pleased to hear that. pretty cool hey?
the grounds were gorgeous too with a rose garden although they were all gone cos of the cold and a peacockgarden, you can imagine I went nowhere near it! For winter they had an ice skating rink and an ice slide but they didn't open till the day after I was there.
before I went had no idea what it was but it was great glad I went





Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

The blue room The blue room
The blue room

This had clocks that used to belong to mMarie Antoinette
The partyThe party
The party

The guy at the very back holding the book is a young Winston Churchill


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb