The Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Surrey
April 20th 2005
Published: June 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Palm HousePalm HousePalm House

One of the best-loved features of Kew Gardens is the great Palm House, many varieties of palms here and it's very warm and humid inside - my glasses actually got foggy.
The Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew, London England were laid out in 1759 and extended in 1772 when Sir Joseph Banks returned from his voyage around the world with Captain Cook and became the unofficial director. Under his guidance collections of plants from many parts of the world were carefully built up, and by the time of his death in 1820, the garden had become internationally famous.

With its established library and laboratory for plant research, it is now recognized as one of the world’s most beautiful botanical gardens, synonymous with all that is best in botanical research.

Just a short train ride from London, we had a very pleasant day at Kew Gardens. A leading centre of botanical research the gardens are mostly quite informal, with a few more formal areas. There are extensive conservatories, a herbarium and a library.

Kew is important as a repository of seeds; it has one of the most important seedbanks. Despite often unfavourable growing conditions (atmospheric pollution from London, dry soils and low rainfall) it remains one of the most comprehensive plant collections in Britain.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Holly at Kew GardensHolly at Kew Gardens
Holly at Kew Gardens

We saw Tulips.
Kew GardensKew Gardens
Kew Gardens

Pond in front of Palm House. Plants & People Exhibition Building in the background - Museum #1.
Kew GardensKew Gardens
Kew Gardens

Beautiful plantings everywhere.
Woodland GardenWoodland Garden
Woodland Garden

Holly and the Cherry Blossoms.


26th May 2005

Kew
Visited Kew back when I was a kid last, wanted to be a gardener when I grew up. Hope the weather is treating you well back in my home country - and hope you can see the photos too :)

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb