Bucket List Golfing - St Georges Hill, Surrey UK


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Surrey » Weybridge
May 25th 2019
Published: June 7th 2019
Edit Blog Post

The World Top 100 Bucket List continues -

Thursday 30 May – Golf at St Georges Hill Golf Club.

Well this was one of the courses that we were both really intrigued by and so looking forward to playing. When we saw it on the World Top 100 list and then looked at the website we were amazed that they allowed visitors at the club to play the course it looked so private. We arrived at a very serious Check Point Charlie type entrance, spoke to a lovely guard who checked our booking, photographed our car number plate and then opened the gates for us. Wow what a world exists behind these gates. A beautiful community of gardens, private roads, mansions and woodlands – as we followed the road around we then came upon a clubhouse that was like a military castle sitting on top of St George’s Hill. It looked stunning in the morning sunlight with the spring blossoms everywhere. It did have a wow factor. Well we parked the little Crossland hire care beside the Porsches, Jags, Mercs, BMWs and a Maserati. We kind of added something special to the car park!

Inside the clubhouse was very strange. Huge sandstone columns with the names of every champion for over a hundred years dominated the long rooms. The furnishings were really something and we just sat and did a bit of people watching over a morning coffee.

Met the starter who was a fantastic guy called Vince. He gave us a quick run down on the best line for the starting hole and then we were off. What a course and yes it was very hilly. Pushing the buggies was hard work. The course was similar to Swinley but the tees had longer carries over the heath and it was hard work hitting up the steep hills. Starter Vince said always go 1 or 2 clubs longer than you think and he was right!! Graham hit some great pars and Leanne managed to score well hitting some fabulous big bunker hits to get handicap pars.

We had a great day at St Georges - it was the best manicured course we had played other than Lytham. It was so quiet it felt like we had the course to ourselves. Another thing that was very nice was the mansions that were set around the greens. They were always slightly hidden from view and very unobtrusive. There is a lot of old money sitting up there on St Georges Hill and by the looks of it, the money is staying there. What a day it was at golf.

Cheers

Leanne and Graham


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb