Day 90 - Handacre via Rugeley and Armitage.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Staffordshire
August 13th 2013
Published: August 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 90 - Handsacre via Rugeley


0 locks, 408 in total.



I still didn't see the meteor shower - I've lost count of the number of years I've tried.



The smallholding opposite last night's mooring had more animals than I thought – pigs, sheep, 2 cows, chickens and 2 llamas/alpacas. The owners live on a couple of narrowboats moored alongside – ideal set-up. I went to the Wolseley Centre this morning, a conservation project run by Staffordshire Wildlife Trust. They have crammed the maximum number of habitats into this place and it was very pleasant to walk around.







We waited for a boat to pass us before casting off – big mistake as I don't think they went above tickover speed for over an hour. Apart from anything else, it makes steering that much more difficult but never mind. When we stopped in Rugeley for some shopping the slow boat stopped a hundred yards ahead of us as well – like naughty children we decided that there was no way they would set off in front of us again.







The rain caught us out later on as we took on water; as yesterday the shower was heavy but we dried out quickly.







Now for a lesson on the unscrupulous behaviour of The Peel Inn, Tamworth, who had taken a booking about 10 months ago for 2 double rooms, 2 family rooms and 2 dogs for this coming weekend – the whole family planned to meet up for a celebration. The hotel has taken new bookings for our rooms on Saturday night as 'no deposit had been paid', despite having Jenny's card details and not requesting a deposit. I've heard of being bumped off planes but never out of hotels – shame on you Peel Inn. Luckily after much searching Matthew and/or Jenny have managed to find an alternative venue, about 20 miles away – the small children / dog combination severely limits ones choices, as does the time of year. We shall enjoy the weekend at Great Western, Meriden all the more, knowing how much extra effort has been expended – thank you all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Bug Hotel.Bug Hotel.
Bug Hotel.

Stacked pallets with a variety of habitats for different insects.

Escher on a narrowboat?Escher on a narrowboat?
Escher on a narrowboat?

Do you see balustrades or ...?
St Augustine's Church, Rugeley - now called 'The Old Chancel'St Augustine's Church, Rugeley - now called 'The Old Chancel'
St Augustine's Church, Rugeley - now called 'The Old Chancel'

Built in the 12th century, Lady Chapel added a century later and the tower in the 14th century. Some parts were demolished in the 19th century when it became unstable.

The North Aisle.The North Aisle.
The North Aisle.

Now paved with displaced gravestones, some as early as 17th century.
Remains of 14th century cross.Remains of 14th century cross.
Remains of 14th century cross.

Before the 16th century reformation it was standard practice to have a single cross in a churchyard to commemorate all buried there. The stepped base has largely sunk into the ground but you can still see the recesses where penitents would kneel.
Tomb of the two sisters.Tomb of the two sisters.
Tomb of the two sisters.

They died in 1695 and 1696. The effigies show two bodies tied up in cloth at the head and feet. Local legend says that they were buried alive by Oliver Cromwell - strange when he died in 1658! Actually these sisters were a little rebellious and had decided their shruds would be of linen, despite the Parliamentary Act of 1678 stating that all shrouds should be of wool, to boost the wool industry. At one end of the tomb is a skull and crossbones, denoting mortality.
Armitage Narrows.Armitage Narrows.
Armitage Narrows.

Originally this was Plum Pudding Tunnel and was one of the first tunnels to have an internal towpath. After a roof collapse the tunnel was opened up. And it was very narrow!
Spode Restaurant....Spode Restaurant....
Spode Restaurant....

....originally a 17th century farmhouse.
Sanitary ware outside the Armitage Shanks factory....Sanitary ware outside the Armitage Shanks factory....
Sanitary ware outside the Armitage Shanks factory....

....in Armitage! I remember when these would be stacked by the side of the canal and open to the elements.


14th August 2013

Good Morning
Morning Helen, John and Hattie, The wildlife trust sounds fantastic, and I love your picture of the insect hotel. What a pain the Peel Hotel, shame on them, you should put something on TripAdvisor, its just not on! Have a lovely weekend with the family. All quiet on the Kingswood front, however we are going on a Pevensey adventure with the Jans next week. They have kindly invited me, Liz and Sandra for a sleepover for a couple of nights......plenty of fun, frolics, and laughter to be had no doubt. Keep well and love to all - Amanda x
14th August 2013

Pevensey....
That sounds a great weekend - enjoy yourselves. Love to all.

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0948s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb