Day 81 - returning to Engine Lock on the Caldon Canal


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Staffordshire
August 4th 2013
Published: August 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 81 - Engine Lock on the Caldon Canal


The reed blockage.The reed blockage.The reed blockage.

I managed to pull it round to the lttle inlet and hopefully it will stay there.
6 locks, 383 in total.







Not much to mention today (ok – I can hear the collective sigh of relief). We decided to stick to moorings that we knew were good as we returned towards Stoke which meant a short day today. The fates conspired against us a little with many boats coming in the opposite direction, often involving manoeuvres in tight places. Also our entry to the last of the Stockton Brook locks was blocked by a huge section of reed bed, upside down in the canal. I've no idea how others had got past but it had now drifted so that navigation was impossible. For the good of all, it had to go. Moving it provided me with enough of a workout to last a month, after walking across a 6” wide length of wood over water to gain access. Carrying the boathook as I went, I felt rather like Blondin.







A passer-by asked if we could close the next drawbridge that had been left open all morning and was causing problems for walkers. We thought it would be easy – drop John at the
Branches across the canal....Branches across the canal....Branches across the canal....

....these had been sawn through and dropped in the water - not very neighbourly.
steps by the winding mechanism whilst I motored through – except there were no steps, only a narrow ledge with a sheer, chest-height concrete wall for John to haul himself up – I'd never have made it.







We moored in time for lunch, recuperated, and then went for a short walk. Do any of you remember the Lion Hunt? - it came to mind as we walked through the short grass, the long grass, a field with cows and calves, a horse field, over numerous stiles and came to a dead end..... but at least we didn't find the lion!







For the duration of this trip I have signed up to alerts from the Canal & River Trust - these emails tell of stoppages, partial blockages, etc. Last week I received one about horse flies on the Kennet & Avon and that you should have insect cream with you. I thought this was a little OTT but after today's email I'm wondering about the employee calibre of CR&T in that region; we were warned to beware of falling limbs restricting the channel!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



5th August 2013

A lion hunt?!
...it was a bear hunt! (we're not scared)
6th August 2013

Bear hunt?
We had altogether more exotic games at Sea Rangers!

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb